nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I have the MH lights, heater and fan on the controller. It is programmed in such a way that if the temp goes below 76, my heater comes on, and if the temp goes above 78, the fan comes on and if the temp goes above 80, the MH goes off.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Temp Down to 81 it looks like I lost 1 frag of purple stylo that I added yesterday I wish I had relized when I put it in yesterday that the water felt warm funny thing is that the temp is usally the first Thing I look at when I get home but it's been so consistintly within acceptable range that I guess I got lazy ! I guess I'll see the real damage when I get home today! I don't even wanna go to work today just wanna keep an eye on the tank lol! Picking up a vortex mp 40 tomorrow that will eliminate 2 power heads ! Picking up a fan today left my air on 73 so my coop won't get hotter then 73 and reset my lights to come on at 3 run til 9 so I'll be home to monitor the temp til I get a controler! Any other reccomendations?
Thanks matt

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ok I'm on the train home and nervous about what the tanks gonna look like ! I'll be picking up the mp40 sat and takeing a ride to radio shack to get 2 clip on fans! I hope nothing died I now understand how a person would breakdown there tank after a crash! The thought of starting over is very overwhelming plus the devistation of all the frags / corals that you spent months tracking down and saveing for gone because a power head was giving off heat ( not carelessness on your part) really sucks!

Has anyones tank gotten this high temp and not lost things ?

Had 5 guys for lunch for the first time it was amzing!

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I lost my new purple stylo frag I bought yesterday and my lokani frag looks like it's about to rtn other then that I think everything is fine got a fan cooling the top of the tank
Temp holding steady at 80
Total damage 2 of my favorite frags I paid 65$ for
Fish totally unaffected

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I put my chiller in the storage as the temperature outside went down recently and boom we get 78 degree weather and my tank went from 79 to 83. I guess from now on i'll keep the chiller until November 1st. I put a bunch or RO ice-cubes and that brought it down to 71.6, if the situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to bring the chiller back. Thank god its a drop in.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
but seriously....

The only way to protect yourself from faulty heaters is to plug it in through a controller. You set the temperature on your controller and set the heater 1-2 degrees higher. If your heater fails and stays on (they usually fail in ON position because the contacts weld themselves together) the controller will shut it off when pre-set temperature is reached. If your controller fails in ON position then your heater will switch off 1-2 degrees higher. If both fail in ON position I'll come over for some sea-food soup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: