aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Awesome tank i got the big brother. The 75 deff a awesome tank i feel like the bulk heads and plumbing kit included was cheap though. Just got my new sump from custom king goin to b switchin it out today

Fishluva, thanks. I would have went with the 75 too but where I had originally planned to place the tank could only fit a 36". I agree the bulkhead and plumbing kits are cheap. send me a pic of your new sump.

for anyone buying these tanks (i.e. deepblue rimless) hand tighten only on the bulkheads.

Fishluva513

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
a6898ad5-1a74-8c5d.jpg
a6898ad5-1aa4-1fad.jpg

gunna b a project gotta drain all water :(

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
thanks Pauli. I'll lose the caulerpa and keep the chaeto. If I have to leave the fuge light on 24/7 will it be necessary to constantly change the bulbs? Can I use a standard fluoresecent bulb?

Rich, I'm assuming you mean adjustable band clamps so the hose doesn't slip off the barb. I didn't think the pressure was high enough to warrant them, but better safe than sorry.

aagresti, I picked up a set of LED lights at ikea, I leave them on 24/7 for my mangroves and it has doubled in size. I'm sure it will be perfect for the cheato. They are disc LEDs, It's about 4 leds in a disc and you get four of them in a pack with the power transformer.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thanks Guys!

Pauie, I was told orange cap montipora should be placed on the bottom of the tank becuase it will block out the light of everything beneath it as it grows large.

right now i just haphazardly placed everything in the tank. I need to research where each specimen should actually be placed (top/bottom, higih/low flow, etc.)
This all depends on your light intensity. Because, if you have a moderately light tank (wich it seems like it is). Them any kind of montipora should be at a high point on the rock work.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Aldo, looks great. You did a nice job.

FYI, the lighting on your fuge......lots of people run their fuge lights 24/7. The other school of thought on fuge lighting is reverse cycle from your display tank. The reason (and I agree) is to stabilize the system pH. Lighting effects the pH the same way photosynthesis is a function of sunlight. When your lights first come on, your pH will be at its lowest. When they turn off the pH will be at its highest. The swing can be quite dramatic (ie: 7.8-8.3) In order to 'equalize' this fluctuation you should have your lights on a timer. When your display tank lights turn off, have your fuge lights come on. When the display tank lights come back on, have the fuge lights turn off.

Keep up the good work.
Hope this helps,
Russ

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Aldo, looks great. You did a nice job.

FYI, the lighting on your fuge......lots of people run their fuge lights 24/7. The other school of thought on fuge lighting is reverse cycle from your display tank. The reason (and I agree) is to stabilize the system pH. Lighting effects the pH the same way photosynthesis is a function of sunlight. When your lights first come on, your pH will be at its lowest. When they turn off the pH will be at its highest. The swing can be quite dramatic (ie: 7.8-8.3) In order to 'equalize' this fluctuation you should have your lights on a timer. When your display tank lights turn off, have your fuge lights come on. When the display tank lights come back on, have the fuge lights turn off.

Keep up the good work.
Hope this helps,
Russ
Been there, done that.
When you've a refugium full of macro algea, light doesn't penetrate the water enough to actually have a big effect on the PH. For that, keep your lights on and the macro algea keeps feeding and growing.

aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
diggin the rock work....come setup my rocks this weekend in the new tank!

thanks dude. the thing about rock work is that as long as you have openings for fish to swim through and flat areas to place corals there's really no right or wrong way to do it.

here's some updated pics. i moved a few things around now that my anemone "seems" to have setlled in one spot for a few weeks.

Attachments

• tank 050.jpg
    tank 050.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 81
  • tank 053.jpg
    tank 053.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 82
  • tank 055.jpg
    tank 055.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 85

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Aldo, the problem with seeing an anemone settle into a spot and saying, 'ok, now I can 'redecorate' the tank', is that the new rockwork will likely redirect flow to make the anemone less comfortable and decide to move again. :banghead:

Good luck, the tank is looking great.

Russ

aagresti

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Aldo, the problem with seeing an anemone settle into a spot and saying, 'ok, now I can 'redecorate' the tank', is that the new rockwork will likely redirect flow to make the anemone less comfortable and decide to move again. :banghead:

Good luck, the tank is looking great.

Russ

Russ,
I hadn't thought of that. Luckily most of the changes were on the left side of the tank so hopefully I didn't affect anything that will make it move.
thanks
Aldo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: