beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
How many gallons is that again? Got a little ocean going on.. Can I please buy some of that crazy looking LR I need one pound. My 3g i feel doeant have much variety going on with the LR organisms n algae. N hitchhikers which i realy want lol. Is that red crusty stuff what you mentioned? Looks like rock I've seen on www.liverocknreef.com ever seen the site?

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It is 100 gallons. Most of that rock I built and it is hollow. I have been gradually removing real rock that I collected and have been replacing it with my own stuff. I like it better.
If you need some life in there, come over and I will scoop you out some but I can't guarantee it won't crash your tank. :confused:
wideangletank.jpg

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
New to the site and the hobby. Live on Island and I see that you use the natural sea water from around the island. Was always curious if this is a safe thing to do. Seems like most people use the commercially prepared salt water.

Love your tanks! Such an inspiration!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Was always curious if this is a safe thing to do. Seems like most people use the commercially prepared salt water.

Charlie most people say you can't use a UG filter, run a tank without quaranting, add local animals from the Long Island Sound or do many of the things I do. Maybe they are correct but the tank will be 42 years old in about 8 weeks.

My tank was started with water from under the Throgs Neck Bridge and I collect a little water every summer.
I think the benefits of NSW outweigh any risks. Artificial water is called "artificial" for a reason, it is artificial. If you live on an Island surrounded by real water, why not use it?
If you are afraid of diseases or paracites, keep it in the dark for 6 weeks or add Clorox. I add bleach if the water smells or if I think it has to much bacteria but I do not recommend that to other people.
The best water is from the ocean beaches, not the Sound but you can use it.
Out in the Hamptons
IMG_0225.jpg

Have fun.
Paul

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi Paul, thanks for detailed response! Just to clarify, you will add NSW without any filtration, etc.....just straight up! If you use NSW, I assume no need to go thru the normal cycling process?

and enjoy the Hamptons! Wish I was there today!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: