Fish Factory

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have stepped away from the saltwater side of the hobby for a few years. With work and other things going on in life I just didn't have the time to maintain my tank. I turned my 180 into a freshwater planted tank but gradually missed my reef tank. A friend of mine that owns a local fish store had a custom rimless tank built that I loved. He recently downsized his store and gave me first dibs on the tank so of course I bought it. My wife and I recently purchased a new home and the only place this tank will fit is in the kitchen. I had to run the plans by her and she agreed it would be a cool idea. The tank is 48''x 30''x 16'' rimless peninsula style tank. My idea is to build a custom stand that will have 3 viewing sides with counter tops. This way we can sit and enjoy a meal and the reef. The tank will be built low enough so you can still see and converse with people on the other side. It will be a slow build as I am taking my time with it. I will post pics as I go along and would love some feedback as I go. Last night I started the stand. Next will be skinning the outside and build the countertop portion. I am still not 100% sure which direction I am going with the finishing portion (pine, oak, paint, stain, etc...) but that is why as men we walk around lowes and home depot hoping for that great idea. Here are some pictures to get started with...

Attachments

• Stand Build 1.jpg
    Stand Build 1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 478
  • Stand Build 2.jpg
    Stand Build 2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Stand Build 3.jpg
    Stand Build 3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Stand Build 4.jpg
    Stand Build 4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 470

Fish Factory

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for tagging along with my build. Sorry for not updating more frequently but work has been busy and I also have a cabinet company quoting the finishing of the stand. When I was cleaning the tank I notices a lot of minor scratches. I purchased cerium oxide and have been working on polishing out the scratches. It seems to be getting the majority of them out. Once I finish removing the scratches I will continue building the stand. I will post pictures as soon as I get working on the stand again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: