plankton123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using 10K AB and Ushios 250 mogul bulbs with HQI eballast for months now with good coral growth and color. But, I've been wondering if Radiums would be better? Any experience out there with 250 Radiums and coral growth? How about 20K?

Thanks.

Scott

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 Radiums will seem pretty dim after 250 10Ks. You want the 400W radiums.

iFish1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe 10 or 20kk bring out the colors of sps better but 6500k is best for optimal growth.

* I have not tested this, I just read it at reefcentral.com

newkie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard that 250W Radiums just aren't great.. even on an HQI ballast. The 400W are supposed to be a good balance between color and growth. Iwasaki is still regarded as top for growth. With enough actinic supplementation Iwasakis can look great and you'll get good coloration from your corals too. I'm using Ushio 10K 250W right now... for the extra cost they don't look much better that Iwasakis. For me, the color rendition of the Iwasakis wasn't a problem, maybe because I supplement with VHOs. It was the inteseness and proximity of the bulb which looked like 2 spotlights rather than a good spread of lighting. The Ushios don't give me that spotlight look and the growth is still okay.

CraigLampe

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 6500 is the best color temperature for optimal growth -- I have run 2 400W Iwasaki's on Iwasaki-only ballast and the SPS LOVE IT!!

I recently added 220 W of VHO Actinic to balance the color (less "yellow" looking)

plankton123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas. Guess I'll keep the 10k ABs for awhile longer...
One person recommended a pair of 10Ks or iwasakis and a single radium (maybe center of tank). An idea...

Scott

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I have recently set up on a 120- 250W DE 10Ks on either side and 400W Radium in the middle on a pfo open reflector. The light is beautiful and I'm sure it will grow corals just fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: