d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Took this video today to see what the tank looked like on video, probably need to clean it up a little bit tomorrow, vodka dosing is great but does create red film crap that is not too attractive.

Tank is a 120 4x2x2
2 skimmers, Eshopps S200 and SC180
Nothing else is fancy
lights is 4 vho bulbs and 4 HOT5 I added afterwards
MP10 but only bc i got curious about the pump, did not need it

Calcium, vodka, food and that is all I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk_aDv5grFo

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
For corals just about anywhere, I have purchased from brick and mortar stores we all know, bought from vendors here on MR and even tried the craigslist and MR browsing thing but omg what a pain in the ass that can be.

If a coral is too expensive for my taste I just buy frags and watch them grow, I dont believe in using credit cards for a hobby that I have had to get out of several times, my first feeder fish tank was like at age 10.

As for fish, I have purchased from many but have been a faithful customer of Live Aquaria, NYAquatic and Maximum Reef Aquatics in Yonkers.

Now that I have what some call common fish and corals I have taken a liking to Aquatic Obsessions, boutique store that seems to always carry unique and super colorful stuff, tried going today to pick up an orange hammer but I did not check the website for hours of operations, they close at 5pm on Saturdays and I was the fool pulling on the door at 5:08

Woah nice!! Where do u shop lol.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I can't remember how long, I think I began dosing vodka back in April or May 2012.

I follow the rules and began slowly, eventually reached 15ml per day until I got tired of measuring. I am being serious, I got tired of using having to measure ml's.

I tested the water, it went from over 100 to zero nitrates and that's when I was happy. I use a shot glass to pour the vodka in, I decreased the dose week after week and now I am on 5ml per day of vodka and still zero nitrates.

On a bad week when I dont measure i over pour and the red stuff flares up but its easy to clean up anyhow.

I considered a dosing pump but decided it not worth the money, it takes me 10 seconds to pour the half shot of vodka right after a feeding so no need for a dosing pump.

I have not done a water change other than after storm Sandy for obvious reasons.

Vodka, reef complete supplement and food, that is all I do week after week.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
The red slime only acts up when I get careless with the dosage. The slime is a result of simply too much vodka. When I am on point with the dose there is no slime.

I go for weeks without slime, then I get careless and have to syphon of the slime. I use a hose to syphon into the sump sock, its take 5 minutes to syphon out every now and then, very easy to remove.

Seems simple enough: the red slime is negative of vodka dose, does it wope away or battle it like a nuisance algae?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Only the emperor angel nipped at the elegance and brain coral which I removed from the tank.

No other corals get nipped, each angel is unique but I don't mind if they eat an acan or whatever. I will continue to stay away from corals that I see they nip, have a queen angel coming next week.

Nice. How are the angels with the corals? Do you have nipping? How long have you had the copperband? Is it eating prepared food?

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Are you in Newark, NJ? If I'm ever in the area I would love the opportunity to see your tank!

You have some of the fish that I definitely want to add in my own personal tank.

Any issues between the powder blue, emperor, naso, hippo, and purple? I am planning on doing a powder blue, emperor, naso, hippo, and yellow tang in my 180 :). I'm a bit jealous as I need to wait a few months before I can do them all :(.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
The copperband eats aptasia and mysis. It cleaned the tank of all aptasia but that stuff never goes away so I assume every few weeks it finds new aptasia on its own.

Nice. How are the angels with the corals? Do you have nipping? How long have you had the copperband? Is it eating prepared food?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
the two that had the most trouble were the purple and yellow but it settled after a while.

The flame angel, that one came in picking at everyone and eventually it calmed down.

Its so many fish now that they are like chiclids in a crowded tank, could care less for each other.

Are you in Newark, NJ? If I'm ever in the area I would love the opportunity to see your tank!

You have some of the fish that I definitely want to add in my own personal tank.

Any issues between the powder blue, emperor, naso, hippo, and purple? I am planning on doing a powder blue, emperor, naso, hippo, and yellow tang in my 180 :). I'm a bit jealous as I need to wait a few months before I can do them all :(.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: