jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Last week my 14 year old female tomato clown passed away. Sad day it was. Now I am left with the mated male. He is tiny. Never really grew compared to female. Now I would like to add a partner for this little guy. Should I add a smaller one and let them figure out who becomes the female or should I wait sometime and let the male turn to female and then add a smaller clown. Want to make it the least stressful
Any advise would be helpful

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
They all want to be female, let the lil guy have his chance, waited long enough.

Shows you keep up with your tank and it's well being that the clown lived so long. Longer than it woulda lived in the wild. You should feel good about that.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
sorry to hear that J.

i would say add one a bit smaller and see what happens.
i just added a male (smaller) to my large female initially i was scared it would chase it around and beat it to death, but she's actually protecting him from other that would like to test him.

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I just can't believe that you kept a fish alive for 14 years. Not saying your being dishonest as I do believe you. Just with my experience in seven years in hobby the only true success rate long term is my huge adult skeletor eel. I've now had her for 5 years. But she is an eel and to kill a healthy adult eel, water really needs to be toxic. Other than the eel I truly average about 1 year for fish. That's sad and I'm a dedicated hobbyist with quality equipment if not the best. Anyways, I salute you for this achievement. Buying a fish at 20 and losing it at 34 is mind boggling. Hope my eels live for 20 plus years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Yup. I have pics of it since it was a juvi. Lol
PaulB on here has had his clowns for over 20+ years. It's not abnormal. I actually found it to be pretty easy. I treat all my fish like I imagine I would if I had kids. Just to give u an example: if I come home late I do not turn on my living room light cause I don't want to wake up my fish. Lol
I also have a watchman goby that I have had for about 12 years. Still alive and kicking

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: