Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
As the title states I'm having a custom tank built by Marek at reefomania and I need some advice on best use of space underneath. I plan on incorporating a lot into this build and need to use all the space and light efficiently. Gonna be a mixed reef with heavy focus on very nice SPS.

140 gallon
54 x 30 x 20
3 sides starphire
Ghost overflow running bean animal probably around 1200 GPH

I plan on running Triton method but I have some unconventional ideas for the design including frag section, smaller slower moving fuge for pods(bigger one for macro algae), and possibly a small little section for breeding clowns.

I want to incorporate all of this into one system so I can automate as much as possible and not have to maintain/top off/ test multiple systems. I need some advice on how to lay everythinges out so it functions at its best.

The reasoning behind my madness for putting the fuge and frag rack above sump is so I can utilize one light for everything up there and it will block unwanted light into the sump.

I also chose to do this layout because when it comes to growing macro algae depth is pretty much useless so I needed a big footprint without taking up too much space in my stand. I want the ability to add dosing containers and reactors later if need be.

I WOULD LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT INCLUDEs THE FOLLOWING:

1) Do you like the design? Do you hate it? How could you make it better?

2) WHERE TO PLUMB DRAINS AND RETURNS AND HOW TO MAKE EVERYTHING EFFICIENT. I WANT FAST FLOW THROUGH MACRO AND FRAG SECTION AND SLOWER FLOW THROUGH CLOWNS AND PODS. I will have the ability to throttle anything back if need be.

Lighting will be a little experiment.

Half the tank is going to be lit by radion g4 the other half is going to be lit by GHL Mitras LX7 as a little experiment. I plan to keep 3 frags one on each side of the tank and one more underneath in the sump.

Thanks in advance for input advice. I should mention that I thought about making the live rock section for pods and just having macro and frag section up top. This is still an option.

Attachments

• 14875367725251779876581.jpg
    14875367725251779876581.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 14875368107071001545867.jpg
    14875368107071001545867.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: