64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few years I've been using 6 x 400W 14K SE Ushios to light my 500g sps dominant reeftank with very good results. Lately, I've been trying to add supplemental LED strip lighting for more 'pop' but have been unsuccessful due to the configuration of my pendants (long story). I'm wondering therefore, if I just swap out 3 of the current bulbs for 20K 400W Ushios, will I achieve anything near what I'm looking for or just an overall dull blue tank? Dimensions are 96x36x36, btw.

64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the mix of those 2 lamps where they actually mix would be nice. My concern would be achieving an even mix throughout the tank and avoiding "striping".

The mix should be pretty uniform as I utilize 3 pendants which carry 2 bulbs each that lie parallel to each other. Should I try this, I was thinking of switching out the 'front' (closest to the viewing glass) bulbs.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The mix should be pretty uniform as I utilize 3 pendants which carry 2 bulbs each that lie parallel to each other. Should I try this, I was thinking of switching out the 'front' (closest to the viewing glass) bulbs.

I think that might work very nicely. If I recall correctly, our old buddy Greg Scheimer used to run 2 different lamps in the same pendant. It is certainly worth a shot--the price on the Ushio lamps is super low now @ $50 ea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: