Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Everyone,

As some of you may know Ive been posting around a lot on manhattan reefs regarding my 150 gallon tank that originally was going to be for freshwater but than decided to go back to salt. Figured I start putting pictures up of my progress since I have to now go thru the long wait of cycling process.

Im dumped Seachem Stability as looked through some sites and many people have had success with it. Soon I will be picking up live rock that has been in a running tank for years to add to the tank to help the cycle along as well as add more rocks to the tank.

The purple rocks you see are "Life Rock" and the other rocks are from a fellow member on here ocholoco, and yes I had to break that big rock dam thing was huge!

The sump is a custom sump with filter socks, reef octo classic 225, moving bed filter (kaldness) which was just added today and hasn't yet started to sink yet. The return pump is a laguna 2900 connected to valve as it is a very strong pump!

Temperature ranges between 79-80 and salt is a 1.024...anything I should change?

Today I just added ammonia chloride and the Red Sea ammonia reads .08ppm . I probably will have to add more, but unsure.

I will try to update anytime something changes. So far for stock Im thinking:

#1 Blue Face Angel (Will Be First Addition) Seen the same one at the LFS for about 3 months now must be healthy as a bull and he is a nice size probably around six inches and fat. I will list the fish from most wanted to least wanted from 1 being the most to 6 being the least needed.

#5 Yellow Tang
#6 Green Bird Wrasse
#3 Long Nose Hawkfish
#4 Antenetta Lionfish
#2 Australian Tusk

Pretty sure thats the stock Im going to go with. Has a variety of colors and uniqueness. This list isn't 100% engraved in stone if you have a suggestion please tell.

Im still unsure what sizes should the fish be obtained, of coarse all fish except for the blue face will be quarantined since it will be the first fish added to the tank especially if the one from the LFS will still be there after the cycle is finish. The long nose defiantly will be the biggest available probably at around 5 inches...

I guess I will update as the cycling goes on..

Attachments

• IMG_3606.jpg
    IMG_3606.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 874

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Placed some more rocks from an established tank from a fellow member, stbarnabas defiantly awesome guy has tons of live rock for sale.

I placed about 20-25 pounds of rock in the main tank and the rest in the sump for now till I have the time and patience to make a new look with the rocks. Trying to go a little higher in the middle of the rock work, while giving some spaces for the fish to hide.

Also decided to test for nitrites today and I have them guess the established live rock, 5 gallons of water from a cousins saltwater tank (all fish and parameters were great) and sachem stability got me to the nitrites quicker.

Attachments

• IMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3639.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 800

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Today I did some modifications to the sump such as adding egg crates with plastic mesh to hold the k2 moving bed chamber better. Added a big sponge filter by the protein skimmer to pretty much get it ready for quarantine procedures when ever needed. Every day I pretty much add 50 drops of ammonia till I see nitrites has gone to zero. Today Nitrites are at highest reading on the red sea kit...1 Ammonia as well is at the highest.

Also I moved some rocks from the fuge to the top and was able to stock the rocks a little bit more higher which is where Im leaving it at now as I think it looks great and the crevices and caves are nice size for larger fish such as the yellow tang and blue face angel I plan on adding. Also added some caves in the back of the rock work that can't be seen from the front.

Attachments

• IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 765

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: