percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey hey, this is in the general forum...
icon_cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my rock, there are these tubular things. The tubes are similiar in appearance to the tubes of a tubeworm/featherduster, but much larger - they're about .5 centimeter in diameter. They seem segmented and are white at the base and as they reach the tip are green. All around the tip there is little "hairs" growing out of it. I can't tell if these are animal or vegetable. They haven't moved, one clump has 3-4 and another has 2 right now. They just moved in out of the blue.

The other is some kind of anemone. It's not aptasia. It's completely and perfectly transparent except at the tips of its tentacles and where the tentacles meet the body. The tips are white and where they meet the body, I can barely make out white where there is just more membrane than the rest of the animal. When he curls up he's white - barely. He's about 3/4 of an inch across and has grown considerably in the past month or so he's been in my refugium. He rarely closes up. He's open whether the light's on or off. He came with the rock pool sludge I bought from PA.

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon perc, now no one's going to help me. I want to know what those monsters are in my tank. And so does someone that saw my post in the hitch hiker's board.
icon_smile.gif

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: tangirl ]

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so do I... I cant figure them out, you eliminated all the ones that I could think of. Did you check umm... wetwebmedia or whatever that site is for id pics?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangirl, Care if you share us some pics? The monster that is. Kinda hard to imagine what that could be without a picture.

fish_who?

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green "worm" thing is actually a type of calcerous macroalgae. Not sure of the name though. I had a whole rock covered in little sprouts for a while. As they grow the base turns into calcium carbonate.

Glenn

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Rover is right. I too,cannot recall the name of the algae.

The second sounds like Psuedocorynactis sp. It is a type of corallimorph. They are found throughout the Caribbean and the South Pacific. Most only come out at night. But certain species will extend throughout the day and night. A hardy hitchhiker that is relatively harmless(if you consider mushroom anemones harmless).

GL

Dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It *sounds* like Rover is right, but I don't know. They don't move, that's why I think it's algae, but with a skeleton? Weird. Well, then again, what's not weird in the tank?

I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post pics. Although, even if I did, I don't know if I would because the algae situation is a bit embarassing right now. At least it looks like it's dying off now. But the cyano (I think) is coming back.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HiTangirl,
Can't help you with the others, but with your mystery anemone, could it be an orange ball anemone? I have one with white tips, about 3/4 inch across.
Pic is in Sprung and Delbeek vol. 2 pg. 321.

HTH
Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does sound like a relative of the orange ball anemone(Pseudocorynactis caribbeorum). The clear ones with white tips are of the same species but may hail from the Pacific. It is pictured and described in the Reef Aquarium Vol 2 as stated above. If relocated to a shaded area it may remain open during daylight hours.

GL

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: