JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So.... For starters I know that there are a ton of threads that relate to what i'm asking here and I have read quite a few...at this point my brain is fried and I am still at a loss on what to do...

In the next few weeks I will be getting a 220 Gal tank from a friend who is getting out of the hobby...i can't even begin to explain the excitement of getting back into a larger tank...for the past 3 years i have had smaller tanks and they just don't do it for me...so the timing worked out and i'll be joining the large tank community once again

About the tank:

- L X W X H - 72" X 30" X 24"

- 3 Sides starphire Glass

- Coast to Coast overflow

Equipment wise i'm pretty much good to go at the moment however i will be updating and adding things between now and the new year.

The question at hand is lighting....I have always ran metal halides...currently I have (2) 400 Watt 20K Radium but the electric bill is beating me up and one of the agreements to setting up this tank was that I try to make it a little less demanding on the electric bill....so LED is my plan.

I have been looking into a few different types but i really can't decide on which ones to go with...the following ones are what i've been looking at

Acan Lighting
Ecotech Radion
AI Sol & Vega

The question here is what are the pros and cons and how many units would i need of each...from the people ive been talking to everyone seems to have a different number

My calculations from what ive learned is i would need the following to cover the tank

Ecotech - 6
AI Sol - 4
Vega ?
Acan Lighting ?

I'm not even sure if these are correct but from what i've understood while reading its what i've come up with...

- Side Notes -

* I keep a mixed reef but I do tend to lean towards the SPS world...i know i would like the luxury of being able to place pieces almost anywhere i want without having to worry about if there is enough light in that area.

** I currently don't have any clams but i would be interested in introducing some in the future not sure if this affects anyones suggestions/Info.

*** I would like to have as much control over lights as possible but I mainly roll towards the 20K spectrum.

**** Bells and whistles like rolling clouds and thunderstorms are cool...but not a must for me.

Well thats all i can think of at the moment with writing this thread...i appreciate any and all information given...i'll be honest i've wanted to switch for a while but the technology kind of scares me as when i hear LED...the first thing i think of is my T.V. not my reef lol

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
LED is simple if not simpler solution than MH as long as you buy the ones with dimmer.

The major issue with most commercially available LED fixture is there is a risk of bleaching corals because they are much more intense than our eyes perceive it. With the dimmer you can avoid this problem.

I am not familiar with Radion, so no comment on how many is required. As for Acan, there are many models, so with out knowing that I have no comment either. For AI Sol, I think you will need at least 6 for LPS/easy SPS and at least 8 for hardcore SPS

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: