chessmanmark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used Phoenix 14K for three years and liked this bulb. PAR claims for this bulb are good. I used these bulbs in a Hamilton Protostar fixture with VHO Superactinic supplementation.

Last year I changed to Reeflux dimmable ballasts with LumenBright reflectors. I used Reeflux 12K bulbs and got better color and growth from my corals. I'm sure the reflectors had a lot to do with it.

Now it's time to purchase new bulbs. I can't find a tool that will tell me the PAR values for the Coralvue ballast and the bulbs I am considering.

1) Stick with Reeflux 12K
2) Go back to Phoenix 14K
3) Consider Ushio 14K or AB 13K
4) or XM 10K (more for growth than color)

I only have experience with Phoenix and Reeflux. I'm looking for more information.

chessmanmark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've never seen the Ushio in person so it's hard to decide. Where did you get the Helio Rick? Sanjay's spectral analysis is a few years old and doesn't have the Coralvue ballast in his calculator, but the Helios 12500K had the highest PAR for DE bulbs. I'd be interested in seeing the 20K as my eventual goal was to move toward the XM 20K once my corals have grown out.

I currently have a 14k Phoenix on one side and a 15k XM on another side since I have a dual MH fixture...but anyways, the side with the XM seems to be a lot whiter than the side with the Phoenix and personally I love the Phoenix look and I've been wanting to trade somone the XM for another Phoenix. If you like the blue I suggest you stay with Phoenix. I've never tried the 20k bulbs so I wouldn't be able to tell you how they are

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
mark , i used to have Ushio 14k 250w it was very white for me. I had four blue actinics running with it and still i never had that blue cue i wanted. Very hard to express sps colors without that blue hint. Phoenix 14K on the on the other hand!! :smoker:
why you want to change?
seems like LED is the way to go nowadays.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I vote for Helios! I used the Ushio, and the XM. PnoyReefer recommended the Helios, I got them, and I love them....................
I purchased my Helios from PremiumAquatics.com Great folks to deal with....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: