wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am on my second day of lights out to kill off some unwanted cyano algea. Figured with Earth day and all it would be a good time.
Well tonight I can home to find my Magnifica had moved after 6 months of being in the same place. Yes this is the first time I tried lights out. The worst part is the magnifica seems to have done alot of damage to most of my sps's. It's always the little details that get you everytime!

Hope maybe this can help somebody... This is just my experience.

-Walter

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately the downside to anenomes..they aren't predictable and I would assume the lack of light caused him to go try and find a nice rock in the sun :(
You might need to take a different approach.

wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yes I agree with you all. However maybe it was just my bad luck but in all the threads (KathyC's...) I read nowhere did I hear this mentioned. Hence the point of this thread. Risk are fine but implies knowing about a possible issue. I didn't and I hope this thread will inform others of the "Risk".

Thanks,
Walter

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Walter, major bummer. I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I also run lights out for 3 days every month. I've got two RBTA's and they never move. It never dawned on me to mention the possibility.

Once again, sorry for the troubles, but glad you took the time to warn others :grouphug:

Russ

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes I agree with you all. However maybe it was just my bad luck but in all the threads (KathyC's...) I read nowhere did I hear this mentioned. Hence the point of this thread. Risk are fine but implies knowing about a possible issue. I didn't and I hope this thread will inform others of the "Risk".

Thanks,
Walter

Now I feel doubly badly...my anenomes are in a different tank than my 120 that I did the 'lights out' thing with. I think I might have mentioned that my small pink anenome might have ventured out into the open (finally) as he was enjoying the lack of all those lights, but didn't think about the possibility of others anenomes looking for light.

Like Russ , I do appreciate your bringing this up to warn others and will make sure it is added to the other thread!
Again, sorry for your losses :(

wallysworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well hopefully my losses arent too bad? Can sps recover from the stinging? I have 2 acro's and 3 digi's that are completely sealed up. My 10yr old son made a good point saying maybe they were like that because of the light being out and maybe they will recover? I hope he's right!

Kathy don't feel bad :) this is why experience from so many on this site is awesome. You had one experience I had another. But the important part is we both did something to benefit others. Your thread was awesome btw.
I make my living solving problems for big corps (banks, securities...) so I love getting working through an issue and experiencing things few have seen or noticed. In the world of fish and coral's its much more rewarding. The fish don't thank me but niether does anybody else. The stuff I do nobody ever hears about.

Anyway I am rambling...

Have a good night,

Walter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: