Yellowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a forty gallon tank that has been running for a while and shared water with my other tanks too. Its been up a few months and only has a feather duster and a few snails in it. What i want from you is ideas for what type of fish and inverts i should get to put in it. The other person who will be caring for the tank are really big on clown fish with anenomes but im a bit reluctant cause i heard they are hard and i researched them a while back and decided against it then but I'm open to absolutely any fish now I just want what you people would think to be the perfect combination of animals for a 40 gallon. Thanks

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is small so you are limited in what you can keep. Unless you are an experienced reefer stay away from the anenome.
I would recommend you visit the LFS and take a look around to see what you like and than ask us BEFORE you buy.
Clownfish are a good bet.
No matter what you buy only buy one fish at a time, and choose another fish in a month or so.
Good Luck

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much tank experience have you had? A lot of people manage anemones and its definetly an advantage if you can keep other things alive. Your clown doesn't NEED an anemone, there are soft corals it may cuddle up to. Clowns are typically very hardy, Fred (maroon) could withstand nuclear meltdown in the tank. I'll address the other question after my final.

Yellowboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience wise i've kept lots of fish and inverts but never corals and i don't think i'm quite ready to plunge into corals so a softy for the clown is out. I'm thinking maybe a goby and a pistol shrimp but im a bit worried cause i heard pistols will tunnel so much that it will colapse and rearrange the rockwork. Also would I ever even see the pistol? Your right about the tank being too small for most fish, I think I'll have to eliminate most tangs and others so of whats left whats your favorite fish?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about sea horses? If you can dedicate at least one feeding per day, you can definetely kept sea horses. Get the tank raised ones from Ocean Rider. Very hardy! But, don't mix them with other fishes. Get lots of caulerpa and some soft corals (easy ones). BTW, seahorses & anemone don't mix.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: