langmister

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are some students from the Viking Explorers, an underwater robotics class. We are trying to make a saltwater Fishtank using organisms we catch from the Long Island sound. In our possession, we currently have a 40 gallon tank, along with a 15 gallon sump, and a few other accessories. We would like to know if it is easier to create an overflow box for the sump, or if we should just use a saltwater filter for the tank. If we need anything else for the fishtank, it would be nice if you could post a link to something that will work good, and is easy to put together.

Thanks for the assistance!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Umm, that's weird. my post is gone. Some problem i should know about mods?
Will try again.
Sump is the way to go. You can use an over the edge of the tank overflow box, where no drilling is needed. Have one, you can have it. As long as tank isn't tempered glass can drill the tank for you. Or lend or tell you what bit you need. It's easy. Also have pumps, light, skimmers, etc. Would be happy to help and donate stuff for free. If i could help spark the interest in our next generation i'm in.
I seem to recall we spoke online. Sorry if i didn't respond to email. Just not email savvy between phone computer etc. Can be reached via text or phone anytime. pm'd you my number. Even if i just help you with advice over the phone, some good guidance can save you time, effort, and maybe even floods or worse.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
On a salt water aquarium the dirty water and proteins float to the surface, so an overflow is much better.
Have many different size hob filter i'd be willing to donate, if that's the way you want to go. Since you already have the sump, and i can give you everything else you need, you can get that sump going for free too. Can drop stuff off, help you in classroom, or mail it to you no charge.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: