Mreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
if you're talking about the utilitech 500 watt work light (colored orange), then the answer is yes, BUT only if you carefully brake the top of the ceramic bulb holders.

i may have purchased mine at lowes because it was only $10 there.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
you only need to break off a bit of the socket...you dont click it in...that would be a 250mh socket...the 150 and 70w mh are installed with a left/right action...push 1 side so the metal contact spings backward so the other end of the bulb can fit into the other side...not sure if you get what im staying...looking at a mh fixture and a halogen lamp and youll see what i mean....IMO the shop lights look hideous..invest in a 70w sunpod..you can usually find them for sale in the marketplace..or try ebay

Mreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i don't think i've considered the 70 watt worklight. most 70 watt diy guides called for a brinks 500 watt fixture. in my case, the ends of the de bulb were too wide for the worklight's bulb holders on both ends.

i think the 70 watt worklight uses a 3 inch de bulb and may not accomodate a 70 watt reef bulb. don't quote me on that though.

do you think you should go with a fixture that is constructed for more power? i don't think the worklight or floodlight fixtures were meant to be on 8 hours a day, 365 days a year. i noticed that even a 70 watt bulb puts out serious heat from the 500 watt fixture.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: