Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline wrasse embryonic development series.

sixline_embryo_01_7-2-09.jpg

sixline_embryo_02_7-2-09.jpg

sixline_embryo_03_7-2-09.jpg

sixline_embryo_04_7-2-09.jpg

Nemo2007

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really great. I am rather impressed and wondering if I have room in the budget for a microscope.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks. Microscopes open up a whole new side of your reefkeeping. You may think you don't have many animals in your tank, but there are probably millions. :)

Better microscopes make the experience much better. You might try a used equipment auction at a nearby university or something. They often upgrade their equipment, but there's nothing wrong with 20-30 year old microscopes so long as the optics are good. I got an old Bausch & Lomb compound stereo for a really decent deal at an auction. The one I'm using at the moment is surprisingly good for a mid-price scope. It's a Celestron with the LCD screen instead of eyepieces. It has a built-in camera and the photo and video is really easy, which is why all this is on the cheap scope and not the B&L.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, one other thing. I you do decide to get a scope, Ron Shimek sells an article on microscope keeping for a few dollars that's fantastic.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd update. I'm now starting after the sixlines more seriously. Now the eggs are being hatched and placed into a rearing tank.

Collections so far:

8/31: 111 eggs
9/1: 69
9/2: No collection
9/3: 153

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it's been a while, but I thought I'd give an update:

The sixline female is giving me consistent batches of about 200 eggs these days. I'm now getting more of them to the prolarvae stage. I pulled 198 yesterday, dipped the eggs in a hydrogen peroxide solution, and placed them into recently dechlorinated broodstock water. I can only see 20-30, well maybe 40 undeveloped eggs on the bottom, and lots in late embryonic to early prolarval stages. Some more photos:

sixline_25hours_01_9-25-09.jpg

sixline_25hours_02_9-25-09.jpg

sixline_25hours_03_9-25-09.jpg

I'm still seeing a little nitrite in the larval system water, so I may hold some low-level feeding trials in the little deli container and see what I see while I wait for that cycle to complete.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Andy, what a great thread! And congratulations on your success, and many thanks for sharing the pictures! :D

How did you get a pair of Sixlines?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: