Jimmy G

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept these Corals before. I picked me up 3 beautiful Australian Acan Lord Colonies! (I know, you guys are jealous, and you should be :wink: )

I have heard they are pretty hardy. My tank is a standard 6 foot 125 gallon with 3X250W MH's. I received 2 colonies today, which I have placed on the bottom on the sand. The colony I got last Thursday I have not quite, but almost midway up in the tank on the rocks under a MH. It seems ok but doesn't have the polyp extension I was expecting . You think it should be a little lower in the tank? Just wondering where in the tank you guys are placing these and how tolerant they are to higher lighting.

Thanks

Nemo2007

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe them to be tolerant of a wide range of lighting but under metal halides, the sand is definately superior for polyp extension if the tank is not too deep. My tank is lit with T5 lighting and they seem to do well in the middle of the tank. Mine have already started growing and expanding. I had tried to move the largest colony only to find out it had secured itself firmly to the tonga shelf its on.
In contrast, my LFS's has some colonies in a aquapod/biocube under CF lighting purchased from the wholesaler the same day as mine. Each entire polyp appears to super extend, not just the tentacles as in my tank.
Lastly, show us some pictures. Every one loves to see those Aussies.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the upload attachment feature. Size them to about 400 pixels a side (largest side).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or upload them to somewhere like photobucket and then use the Img tag to hotlink them.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need help with the photos you can email them to me and I will get them posted for you.

Kim

Nemo2007

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meantime, I've never posted a picture of any of my aussies and I recently got a new camera so I thought I would share.

Attachments

• Shrunk.jpg
    Shrunk.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 959
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty. No issues with the sweepers from the favia behind it?

Nemo2007

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems yet from the LPS behind it, it has relatively short tentacles. I don't know exactly what it is as it was unlabeled at the LFS. It was placed near the aussies they sell. I got it from the Coral Corral in Tampa, FL. They have hands down the best selection in the area when it comes to corals. Even more so, when you want anything australian.

I guess I could feed the "Acan Lord" more but it seems to be adding new polyps all the time with the current regimen which consists of me attempting to put cut krill, mussles, or plankton in each mouth with long tweezers. I'm not that handy with the turkey baster.

Jimmy G

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out how to post the pics. Sorry it took so long

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 605
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 602
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 602

Nemo2007

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some very beautiful aussies. They look like they set you back a few dollars though. Where did you get them?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: