Rating - 100%
10   0   0
One of my acans detached from its skeleton, and despite a few attempts to reattach it with crazy glue, it keeps coming off.

I located it floating around in the tank and although it seemed to be doing ok, the flow keeps pushing it around. It's now secured in a container in a low flow area of the sump and it really seems healthy, opening and tentacles extending, looking for food.

Was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to secure it to something?

Thanks!!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I appreciate the response but would have to respectfully disagree .

Every day it opens to full extension, just as the others that are still on the original skeleton. It retracts at night, still has maintained all it's color and size. Its been over 2 weeks already, so if it is actually dead, it's looking pretty good, except for the attachment to a skeleton.

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
im just messing around, lol
sorry at my poor attempt for some comic relief.
the polyp is probably not dead but i dont think it will continue growing either.
but maybe try using super glue gel instead of crazy glue.
ive seen polyps just stay alive in rubble never seen it reattach itself or continue growing more heads.
but if you have time on your hands you can try to keep it going. if not just get a new colony acans are so cheap now. i have a nice size colony for cheap if you are interested

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
No offense taken.

I tried the crazy glue gel. It holds for a day or so but at night when the polyp retracts it detaches.

I saw a video where a guy used a sewing needle and thread to attach a xenia frag to a rock. As we know the slime creates a barrier between the glue and rock making attachment very difficult. And piercing the stalk of xenia is definitely easier than the "foot" of a acan polyp.

Might have to get out the magnifying glass and sewing kit and give it a shot. If I can try to save it I will, not ready to give up on it just yet.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If it dies it dies, just trying to give it a fair shot of survival if I can.

From what I see online the chance of successful survival is very low. But my experience in this hobby has proven that corals can be very resilient things if given the proper care, so for the sake of being a responsible reef keeper I'll invest some time in it.

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
If it dies it dies, just trying to give it a fair shot of survival if I can.

From what I see online the chance of successful survival is very low. But my experience in this hobby has proven that corals can be very resilient things if given the proper care, so for the sake of being a responsible reef keeper I'll invest some time in it.

good luck!
you are a better man than i
lol :spin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: