Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i recently checked my water levels on my saltwater tank and realized my alkalinity was lot. i went to my local store and he gave me a dose to the seachem reef builder alkalinity stuff to build it up. unfortunately, when k was getting ready to start my second dose k realized i was doing it very wrong. instead of putting one teaspoon of the mix i made per day, i put the whole 7 teaspoon/7 ounces of ro water mix i made at once yesterday and today my naso tang is not doing good. i changed 5 gallons of the water to the ro water i had left and will do more when i make more, but does anyone know of any other quick solutions? or if the naso tang has a chance? thanks

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The ocean is a violent place,I'd turn off the pumps and stir the tank n sand bed up a bit then do a 25-35 gallon waste change. I had high alk not to long ago and that is how I kept EVERYTHING alive.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
No do not stir your sand bed up. Our tanks are nothing like the ocean. Your alk is not high and matter of fact it's low. I never heard of alk rising to fast hurting fish just corals but I could be wrong. You need to tell us all about your tank before anyone can answer your question including when you set up your tank

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
No do not stir your sand bed up. Our tanks are nothing like the ocean. Your alk is not high and matter of fact it's low. I never heard of alk rising to fast hurting fish just corals but I could be wrong. You need to tell us all about your tank before anyone can answer your question including when you set up your tank

Duke I know you know your stuff but I looked at his past posts and the tanks been up n running for 3 weeks! I have a tank that I have never posted and never will and I actually place sand on the rocks and it combines with coralline algae to form a nice cement. Sps encrusts. In my opinion, and I know that many people disagree but I don't look at my sandbed as a carpet to be vacuumed up if I see cyano or detritus. My cycle lasted over 2 months int the tank I'm referring to. And I disturbed the sandbed every other day when the pumps are off and I do my water changes. Back to topic, listen to everybody and give more info because something you might think is irrelevant could be a major factor.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
... i had a 46 bow front and switched to this tank a couple of months ago. i have 29 gallon sump and sol led lights. the corals are all find including the anemone and all the other fish are fine..
. the naso dies this morning though :(

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Something does not make sense I recently overdosed phosban and stripped the alk from my tank. It caused most of my acros to STN. I had no fish losses and even after making adjustments lost most of the acros. I agree with everyone else who posted more info is needed to determine what could be going on.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
How fast you lose your alk that happened you don't test? I test weekly or after I make changes. How fast can you lose alk is what I mean because I tested high 18dkh then did water change got it to 14 now I'm sitting at 8-9dkh. I think I put too much acropower

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I made the mistake of not testing thinking that I could forgo testing and "use how my corals looked to determine if parameters were on point". I also lost faith in hobby grade test kist because I felt they were inaccurate. This did work for awhile. I had amazing growth and good color, but ultimately this methodology failed me. It's hard for me to quantify how long that took. Not very long, I spent hours searching for an answer to my coral woes. I was convinced I had aefw, red bugs, both and other coral monsters. Since I was not testing it took an experienced reefer to get me back on board with testing. Not only am I testing again I'm doing it on a daily basis for now. I am also in the middle of a new build that includes a ghl dosing pump as well as an apex. I learned the hard way that cutting corners does not pay off in this hobby. Back to the OP I think you owe it to yourself for the time and investment you put in, and more importantly the animals you keep to test all of your parameters regularly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: