ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
What size is your tank ? Before you are so quick for somone to fix the scratches assess the amount of scratches and how deep they are. Furthermore, are they on the outside or inside ? I was in the same situation you were over a month ago. Did a lot of reserch and a fellow Mr (thanks Chris) helped with a lot of trial and time... A lot of the scratches can be taken out with the Novus 1,2,3 formula(this can be used on the outside of the tank or when the tank is empty). Or if the scratches are too deep you can use a 1/2 sheet palm sander and start with a 300 grit paper and sand you way up to 8000-12,000. I found that if you could clearly feel a groove with your finger then use the sanding method 1st and finish with the polishing method(novus 1,2,3). Most body shops will have these papers readily available. If you take this route also cool the acrylic(use water to wet the area constantly) If you can't find paper above 3000-4000 grit and the area is small you can use the paper that is contained in the pentaire acrylic scratch remover kit. This can also be used when the tank is full with water. I recomend getting this kit, it will come in handy.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
You need to be pretty handy, DIY oriented and somewhat patient. Thane seems to be able to do stuff like that but a doofus like me had tried it years back and with none of the above qualities, I just ended up with a hazed acrylic box.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
You need to be pretty handy, DIY oriented and somewhat patient. Thane seems to be able to do stuff like that but a doofus like me had tried it years back and with none of the above qualities, I just ended up with a hazed acrylic box.

lol....come on you cant be that bad...:splitspin...All kidding aside if it wasn't for chalan I would have been a little hesitant as well. He put many hours into his own tank experimenting with everything under the sun. I was in this same situation when I purchased my tank until I got a quote on bringing my tank "back to original". I almost fell of my chair. That is when I said it is time to learn. And i am glad I did it. The hardest part was getting in my tank which I could not do. I had my friend do it who is 140lbs wet...lol. But with my instruction(limited) and about half a day with my help we were able to do the whole tank. 10' x 30" x 30". It was tottally worth it. If you have any further questions pm me I will help you as much as i can.

Thane

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: