A

Anonymous

This may be one of my dumbest (or best!) ideas ever, you decide.

I have a 1 gallon tank and I'd like to have a black bottom substrate. Part of the problem with the black Tahitian Moon substrate is that it's too fine. It wedges in between my plastic backing and the bottom of the tank. The next larger size of black substrate I can find is too big, and it looks like cheesy glossy plastic. I have no idea if it's reef safe or not.

So, why not use activated carbon? It will help filter the water, and I don't need much at all. Every few months I can replace part of it just as I would normally. Any reason why this sounds like an awful idea to you? :D

A

Anonymous

It may be tricky to get it to sink and stay in place. And be prepared (as you are) to change it out frequently as I bet it'll get brownish and ugly like that Tahitian moon stuff, which IMHO looks terrible after a week or two. Apart from that, I say give it a try. I'll be curious to hear how it works out.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda what i was thinking also was it would be hard to get it to stay put. In a larger tank I would say no way but in a small tank like that it may work just fine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time activated carbon was en vogue as a substrate material for both freshwater aquaria and for some vivariums. It fell out of favor largely because the folks using it weren't really changing it out over time as they should have, and surprise! It started leaching nutrients back.

That said, I can't really think of a reason it would cause problems providing it gets changed out in a timely manner.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1, it is wasteful. Activated carbon should be used inside an appropriate housing to get the proper flow thru them to get the most out of their utility
2, it is barely more dense than saltwater. As other pointed out, it is difficult to keep down if you have reasonable amount of flow
3, it tends to breakdown into dust. Depends on what you keep in there, they will generate lots of black dust due to water movement and/or critter disturbing the bed. I don't know if it is a good idea for the gills.
4, There are other alternatives for the sandbed. Keep looking. Or DIY yourself with tumbler, etc., from existing sand/gravel.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed Tahitian moon with Caribe Sea SuperNaturals Ramblin Rose, it looks frikkin amazing, and is remarkably easy to syphon. If yer patient :P

Edit: If you are determined to use carbon, try Kent Marine Reef Carbon. It is heavier than Marineland and other brands. Pricier, too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for dumbest idea ever. Does SeaChem still make substrates? I've used that in the past for a dark colored ground cover.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of 1/4" or 1/8" screen.
Buy a few chucks of black lava available at just about every rock place, smash with a hammer and sift it through the screen.Or forget the screen and just pick out the particles you want.
I wouldn't do this with a larger tank, but it shouldn't be too labor intensive for your 1 gallon. Additionally,the lava will function is an additional bio-filter.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use your favorite black substrate and some epoxy to make a solid base. Leave a 1/8 gap around the walls of the tank - once dry caulk the crack.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: