C

chrismelb

How addictive is this hobby for you and does it improve your well being?

I am conducting research as part of my PHD in psychology into activities completed both at work and in leisure to see if they have an effect (positive and negative) on your well-being. I know from my experience in this hobby this is a huge outlet and a chance for me to get completely involved and easily lose track of time, thoroughly enjoying this hobby. This phenomenon is largely related to the concept of Flow and is said to result in overall happiness/ well being. I am looking for people to please complete an online questionnaire which will help me to assess the quality of activities completed in leisure and at work and to see if this has an impact on people?s well being. I would greatly appreciate if you could please spare 30mins of your time to complete this questionnaire online at www.psychflow.com. No identifying information is obtained.

Thanking you in advance

Chris

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Interesting study. As a whole I think many people, not only reef hobbiests, partake in their hobbies of interest to improve their general feeling of happiness, quality of life, and overall well being. Are you only targeting those that happen to partake in reef keeping in your study? Makes me wonder where the line from healthy to addiction becomes crossed. :scratchch Would you mind posting your finished product/assessment after the fact?

Think it would be an interesting read. :)

C

chrismelb

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thankyou for your interest and comments. This study isnt targeting just those who maintain reef aquariums, anyone is free and welcome to participate.

Whilst I am not specifically targeting those in the reef keeping hobby, if enough reef keepers complete this questionnaire I may be able to look at the possible links between this hobby and well-being/mental health.

After data collection, I will report results and provide link to publications as they arise. Results will also be posted on my website.

Yes most definately, defining at what point an activity becomes a negative addiction is a very interesting question, how much is too much? What defines a negative addiction? These questions are begining to arise from research into positive experiences. Hopefully this study will prompt other researchers to investigate further the dangers (if any at all) of Optimal Experience- Flow.

Thankyou to those who have completed this questionnaire so far.

Happy reef keeping

Chris

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
As you know there are different levels of addiction with any hobby or vice. Most people here are fanatical about their tanks however, they channel that into positive energy not negative energy. Good luck with your study and I hope once I get home on my computer and off this blasted blackberry I can answer your questionare.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
This hobby has been awesume from the start and it just keeps getting better. Not only me but my whole family really enjoys it. I love all aspects of it even the maitenance. The only thing I really dont like doing is placing corals because the glue's just bite! I always make a huge mess when doing but after when its cleaned up Im happy again... :splitspin

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
"Negative Addiction/negative energy" is empirically defined as maladaptive behavior; i.e., a behavior which interferes with one's day to day functioning resulting in undesireable or harmful consequences.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: