jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i have a two clownfish in my 29 gal that are in the process of pairing right now and the male seems to be starting to host in my goniopora (goni is not happy recently).

I know that a host anemone is not necessary for clowns to pair but once paired will the clowns be more aggressive in looking for a host?

I have always wanted an anemone but never wanted to risk my beautiful (and expensive) corals. I would also have to cover all the pumps and probably change my overflow setup to make it anemone-safe.

bubble tip is the route i was thinking but if too large my corals will no doubt be stung. due to the small display size of the 29.

Trying to decide if the damage will be less just letting the clowns host in corals or risking an anemone.
anyone have an anemone in a small tank? how often to they move around?
fatalities?

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Have one in my 28 jbj. Never moved more than a few inches. Has tripled in size.
Make sure to clear big area for it so no corals get stung near by

Would I recommend. No. Too much worry if it will move and kill all corals. Got rid of mp10 cause I was scared it will move and get stuck.

Last edited:
M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I'm surprised the anemone expert on MR hasn't put his $.02 yet. Give him till end of day.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I just put on in a ten gallon with a clown now I can't put my hand in without being ransacked by clownfish bites it has moved a bit I think due to the rough hosting lol real rough but no fatalities yet take a chance every once in a while its fun! And the laughs you will have watching the love the clown have for it is worth the clown fish bites I promise

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
My $6.49 anemone just got sucked by my Seio 820 today. It is just not worth the worry in a mixed reef.

This guy moved all over the place. I would keep those in a FOWLR type tank.

rsinanan415

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Had two in my 28jbj, one really small and the other about 6 inches across. Never had a problem with it moving. Once it gets settled in and you feed directly (if you wish) i dont think you will have any issues. Get a really small one and see how it works out.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Im more worried about my overflow than anything. I know they sell those drain strainers that stick up out of the water but i don't want some back plastic 4 inch above my water.

Any suggestions?

(This was the first tank i had drilled, i was nervous so i had someone else drill for me and they added these huge bulkheads to my 29, not what I had planned but i make it work)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1373377750.755329.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1373377750.755329.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 136
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1373377791.334556.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1373377791.334556.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 135

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I've got a tiny cherry mata anemone that didn't move for more than a year and then out of the blue decided to take a lap around the tank frying everything it touched along the way.
I still think it's worth it and would do it again, but you're never really safe when you have one in your tank.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've got a tiny cherry mata anemone that didn't move for more than a year and then out of the blue decided to take a lap around the tank frying everything it touched along the way.
I still think it's worth it and would do it again, but you're never really safe when you have one in your tank.

Sorry to hear about that. That's what I'm worried about. Got some huge colonies I would be really upset about if died. Maybe ill sell my big stuff until the anemone is settled

Did you change somthing in the tank? Flow or pump?

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Sorry to hear about that. That's what I'm worried about. Got some huge colonies I would be really upset about if died. Maybe ill sell my big stuff until the anemone is settled

Did you change somthing in the tank? Flow or pump?

Nothing changed, although corals grow and the water flow changes just with time.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok so I went to the store just to "look" and saw a rose bubble tip and just couldn't pass it up.

I did a make shift temporary job on my circulation pumps to make it a little safer.
Still need to change my overflow though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: