JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know a cpl of our members have made "locally caught" tanks and made threads about them, I also know members add some stuff to their tank, but i was wondering about the overall safety for my tank (disease, parasites, etc.) and the survival possibilities of these animals if kept at reef (78) temperatures?

Thanks all for any info

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I had some wild hermits that I caught of the beach. I had to move them to the fuge because they where to agressive towards my CUC. They killed some of my other store bought hermits ,turbo's and even a wild caught start fish I caught while fishing.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ilyanassa obsoleta (mud snails....related to Nassarius) are long lived, useful, and harmless in a reef tank. The little hermits are harmless in my experience, but don't live more than a month in a reef. Too bad...they are very active and entertaining.

trinifish

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
...i was collecting with creepy reefer tool last summmer and i too put some lil' hermits in my tank. its almost a year and they have grown SIGNIFICANTLY. if they get any bigger i think i'm gonna have to release them soon or use them for tog bait!!!:rolleyes:

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I would say that the concentrations of parasites in the ocean would be significantly less than a fish stores tanks with 10-30 fish in a few gallons of water.
I have always collected fish from the ocean and had great success with very little parasite infestation resulting.
The thing i am less sure about is the increase temperature of the aquarium compared to water that regularly gets down to the 40's in the natural environment. Most of my collecting was done in Australia, where the ocean only drops to around the high 60's in winter.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The only disease I would really worry about with collected fish in this area (besides lymphocistus, which is obvious, is tuberculosis. Here is a link to a post I made on Nor'Easter a few years ago... http://www.noreast.com/postedreport...ype_ID=0&startRecord=1&orderby=date&daysold=7

It turned out to be a granuloma...from tuberculosis...which apparently is quite common in bluefish and especially stripers in the NY area...so I'm sure that it gets into other fish. "common" is a realative concept....this is the only case I have seen in decades of catching and cleaning fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: