Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I have 1 piece of live rock that keeps growing aiptasia. I've tried Joe's juice, Peppermint shrimp, and tried scraping the rock, and they always reappear. Is there a way to kill it once the rock is removed from the tank or should I just get rid of that rock all together?

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
I have 1 piece of live rock that keeps growing aiptasia. I've tried Joe's juice, Peppermint shrimp, and tried scraping the rock, and they always reappear. Is there a way to kill it once the rock is removed from the tank or should I just get rid of that rock all together?
If sure it's only one rock and it can easily be removed, just dump the rock. you will be saving yourself a large headache

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I would cook it. Take it out of the tank and leave it sit dry for a few months. then scrub it with a wet scrub brush to get all of the stuff off of it, then let it sit outside for a few more months, and after that you could be ok, or you could just take the rock out of the tank and put it in a bucket of water that is left over from a water changee and set it aside, get some joes juice or some kalk or lemon juice, or mrs wages pickling lime, or use hot water inject the anemone with any one of the above and eliminate them that way. Peppermint shrimp might work too but they gotta be hungry.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If it's just one rock, easily removed with nothing valuable on it, I'd advise baking/boiling/whatever. If you want to save the coralline algae on it, you could try hyper-hyposalinity baths; that might kill off the aptasia while preserving most of the algae & internal nitrifying bacteria. (Basically, make a supersaturated solution of saltwater, dunk the rock in there & swirl it around for about ten minutes to make sure all the crevices are nice and briny, then rinse with RO and bathe in RO for ten minutes, repeat a couple times. I've done this once as an experiment and it worked, but I can't vouch for its repeatability. Should work, though. :)

Keep in mind that your rock is now officially Uncured. A small piece could go right back into a larger tank with no problems, but depending on the size of both you might want to cure it in a separate system.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
henrystyle, you can also use plain old white vinegar.;) I use a syringe full, and I injected it directly into the mouth of the aiptasia. Poof no more aiptasia, and they never came back.;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: