cadfael57

New Reefer
I have a 1 1/2 yo tank with some beautiful hard and soft corals and fish. Of course, like everyone else I'm struggling with Aiptasia. I've used Joe's Juice a few times and it was somewhat successful, but the anemone kept growing back. I have a few of them growing behind my LR wall out of the way of any other corals. Are these species problematic if they're not in proximity to coral?

Also, a couple of days ago I applied Joe's Juice to a couple of Aiptasia near a large specimen of Yellow Fiji Leather and almost immediately the coral showed signs of distress. It hasn't extended it's polyps since I used Joe's Juice and it actually looks as if it's dying. Does anyone know of any adverse reactions of some coral species to Joe's Juice?

One last question, besides being prolific and it's potential to sting surrounding corals, is there any other real threat posed by Aiptasia?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
the threat of aptasia is their ability to reproduce to uncontrollable preportions. if they are not near corals now, they will be eventually.
the yellow leather will recover. i use a thick mixture of kalkwasser paste. mainly because it doesn't float around too much with the pumps off.
once i squirted some on a pest, and a few tiny pieces hit a ricordea below it. that ric took about 3 weeks to recover.

btw- using the kalkwasser paste, i've never had an aptasia grow back.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Mr. X>
You were talking about a mixtre of Calc; that you make a paste with in an attempt to kill Aptashia. Could you inform me as to what is the mixture (how much Calcium and water) you use. I feel the past would be easier to get some of these bastards.
Thanks,
J.mr_X

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Mr. X>
You were talking about a mixtre of Calc; that you make a paste with in an attempt to kill Aptashia. Could you inform me as to what is the mixture (how much Calcium and water) you use. I feel the past would be easier to get some of these bastards.
Thanks,
J.mr_X

Scoopy

Experienced Reefer
I use the same.. cant say exact measurments, but just a tad bit thinner than toothpaste. Also turn your pumps off when dosing, and all you need is a tiny tiny squirt right in the middle of the ap. they will ingest it like food and die.

Sam

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: