StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So i tore down my 46g bow because i felt it was time for a change and today was the last day of the petco dollar a gallon sale so i picked up a new tank this morning.

i have a 4bulb t5 aquaticlife light
100 lbs of LR
50 lbs of ls
25lbs of aragonite
a polario dual powerhead and a maxi jet 1200
the polario is too strong and i dont know how to workit. might sell it or trade for an mp 10/mp40 (cost me$350!) any advice on that issue would be great
10g wet/dry filter that i hate and am going to get a 20g breeder maybe even a 40g for the sump and hopefully someone can help me place the baffles
i have a hob skimmer that i hate as well.

I'm stillsuffering from my noob mistakes in buying equipment that if i can take it all back my choices would vary quite significantly since im a broke SoB right now lol

I had my 46g bow for 2 years and ive been procrastinating a change for months now. finally did it. wanted to upgrade but this feels like an upgrade since i feel the 40g breeder is more pleasant to the eye anyway as well as the scratches from my magnet cleaner from when i was a noob were soooo annoying.

Pics to come soon but no livestock will be in for a while since i can only come home on the weekends and its too much work to do in one day.

My water is already cycled and i seeded the tank with LS from my last tank as well as the LR hasnt been out of water for over a year but the coralline keeps coming and going according to my care regime for the tank since that varies because my life is all f****d up sometimes lol

Hope we have a fun beautiful ride together with this one. MR has given me so much inspiration to use for this tank that i feel its going to be the best move i have ever made switching to a breeder.

Wish me luck!

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
=]

1 - sandy new tank
2 - a few hours later
3 - that same saturday night
4 - rockscape from thursday jan 20th
5 - left side of new rockscape
6 - right side of new rockscape

Pics taken with Samsung Focus Windows Modile 7

Attachments

• 40g breeder sandy.jpg
    40g breeder sandy.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 40g breeder cloudy.jpg
    40g breeder cloudy.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 40g breeder rock.jpg
    40g breeder rock.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 40g breeder left side clear.jpg
    40g breeder left side clear.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 40g breeder gracilaria elegance.jpg
    40g breeder gracilaria elegance.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 40g breeder damsel.jpg
    40g breeder damsel.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 148

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks man

If anyone has any comments or words of advice on 40g breeders please feel free to comment. I would really like that, 2 years into the hobby and i still love to hear from my fellow MR members.

Any equipment you would reccommend or answer the question if my lights are adequate to put SPS in the top portion of my tank or what corals you wouldnt reccommend.

My planned fish stocking list goes as

2 Snowcasso from www.Donisreef.com :duh:
2 paired already mating clownfish.
- with the clownfish i plan on trying to breed them i have a 30g high cute tank that i play on being the growout tank, as well as a 46g breeder on the backburner in case i want to make a tank dedicated to 3 pairs of clownfish with a lot of hostable anemones like RBTAs or GBTAs and sell clownfish as Grades for cheap, possibly make a littlemoney back that died into the hobby as well as for future purchases- Maybe become a vendor on here since i already have a mated pair that im getting from a friend already breeding in two week from now.

And does anyone have any experience in making Sumps? because i tried with a 10g and broke it lol dont wanna waste money on another 40g breeder or even a 20g .

ill check out the marketplace and ask just figured id throw it in here first lol

I dont want this tank to die really working hard on it this time and feel like i actually have a handle on it.

=] the journey has officially begun.

Last edited:

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank you guys i might need a hand with the sump in the near future, im picking up one tomorrow from bigyankfan as a temp for now and then i think i want to make a 40g breeder into a sump one of these days so it will still be useable for upgrades in the future .

The only thing i really need to know right now is if i can keep SPS on the top portion of my tank with my curent set up.

If not im thinking about picking up an oddisea MH w. PCs but ive heard mixed feelings about their products so i am not sure at the moment.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i have a 40b, i have sps and they are growing amaizingly, i have a 6 bulb x39w t5 light. i have some room so i used a 55g as my sump and run my skimmer and my phosban and carbon reactors in the first chamber which is filtered initially by a filter sock, then it goes thru baffles where i have a nice 4in sand bed with chaeto with a nice pod population, then it goues into the return chamber where i have my ato hooked up.. good luck if you have any questions i will try to help as im sure everyone else here will too, look up in the history abt the 40breeder club..may help

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: