Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I've noticed this rather large white patch on my purple porclapora frag and I'm not sure if it's from my Alk being to high or a fish nipping on it. My current levels are
Cal 420
Alk 9 Dkh
No3 0
PO4 .03 ( Hanna Meter)

I should also add that I dose Redseas N03 PO4x and was recently reading that when using you should keep your Alk in the low 8 to high 7 DKH range.

Current fish are pair of percula clowns, baby black spot foxface and a baby yellow tang.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Alk burn is normally seen in the tips.
To me, it looks like somethings eating it.

Check for nudis?

I will say you may see issues keeping your no3 that low & alk higher than 8-ish.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Thanks man, I also think something was picking at it and even thought it maybe the foxface but haven't caught him in the act. The strange thing is all other Sps mostly different types of montipora seem to be doing well. I appreciate the input

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Definitely not fish nipping, that's tissue neurosis. It happens for many reasons, many which are unknown. I would stop the red additive and see how things respond. With 0 nitrates you are asking for trouble dosing any carbon source.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Thank you Rich. I started dosing the Red Sea product cause I had very high Po4 that I believe was leaching from my dry rock that I started the tank with. I don't think you can just stop using it (from what I read anyway) but I will start dialing it down and see how everything responds. What would you guys call acceptable PO4 and N03 levels for SPS? It's a small system (45g) and mainly setup to keep my magnificent anemone and clowns but I did add some sps frags to give the tank a little more color and personality.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thank you Rich. I started dosing the Red Sea product cause I had very high Po4 that I believe was leaching from my dry rock that I started the tank with. I don't think you can just stop using it (from what I read anyway) but I will start dialing it down and see how everything responds. What would you guys call acceptable PO4 and N03 levels for SPS? It's a small system (45g) and mainly setup to keep my magnificent anemone and clowns but I did add some sps frags to give the tank a little more color and personality.

It's more of a balance rather than acceptable levels. I had very healthy, colorful, fast growing SPS with 50ppm nitrates and .06 phosphate. I prefer my levels much lower though (faster growth and nice color). If you're po4 is high but no3 is 0, a carbon source is not your answer IMO. I would just run rowphas to get po4 down. If you insist on dosing acetone, you might want to consider dosing nitrate to your reef. Sachem flourish would work.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: