nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Hello MR, my Elos Midi has started to develop diatoms on the sand bed, and lots of glass algae. I have a bad habit of over feeding my tank inhabitants and therefore always have high PO4 levels. I started a IM full size reactor w/500ml of all-in-one bio pellets. One day in and so far no clouding of the aquarium water. I've been doing some reading and it appears that I should prepare for an algae bloom which will cloud my water. I'm going to use my Hanna meter to get a base level of my PO4.

Does anyone know how to minimize this water clouding and how long will this last? I'm hoping to keep better water quality by running these pellets, has anyone used this product and are there any pitfalls? Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I had switched to the AIO pellets after reading all the positive results regarding additional P04 removal but after going through 3000 ml of the stuff, I found it no better at P04 removal then any of the pellets on the market. Although I don't utilize pellets any longer due to the break down of the tank and if I were to go back, I would stay with Ecoback. Moderate priced pellets that clumped less then most brands that I have tried and slowly dissolved much cleaner then the AIO pellets which left a brown residue in my sump.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
AIO Pellets

Thanks for that info, I'll keep an eye for that brown residue in my sump. How long before I start seeing the PO4 go down? So far I have no cloudiness in my tank, and I'm tumbling the pellets vigorously in the IM full size reactor, should I reduce it to the same tumble as gfo to prevent the brown residue in my sump?

Thanks

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
With any bio-pellet, you need to keep an eye on the reactor. Initially it should be tumbling but as it slows down due to the bacterial film, you need to increase the flow to keep it from clumping so it does not need to be at a "boiling" roll until you start to see it slow down.
As for P04, IME it primarily handles N03 & P04 is secondary. When I used it in a high nutrient environment, the P04 never really went down. If you only have a P04 problem without the N03, I would just stick with GFO.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Phosphates

UPDATE!! took a reading using my Hanna checker and received a result of zero phosphates. Besides the reactor w/biopellets, I setup a refugium also, with cheato and red dragon. No more algae on my sand but I?ve noticed my green tyre (softie) is not expanding. Could it be the zero PO4?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: