Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i really don't know what i am doing wrong have super high ammonia levels. i have been doing this for years and never had this this problem before. I feed every other day the fish and corals 2 times a week. Make a water change every 2 wks change my filter pads every 2 days and still have high levels of ammonia. I also change my carbon once a month. nitrite 0, nitrate 0, PH 8.3, alkalinity is good. All i have done different is change to a new salt. What am i doing wrong what can i do to fix this problem?

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Before doing anything radical, I would definitely test with a different kit, or have a LFS do it for you.

Do you add any chemicals of any sort to the tank ?

Do you have any new SW made up with the new salt you purchased? If so, I would test that for ammonia.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i had the same problem with amo in freshly mixed salt water. i read up on it, they say that most if not all salt mixes contain amo, i think from magnesium chloride from .25-.50. it gets diluted in your tank and your bacteria breaks it right down. they say its not a problem unless you do 50% or more water change.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: