Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Now I don't know where this is going but I went to a meeting of the Long Island Reefers Assn last night which I am not a member of.
(I am not a member of anything, I would not want me as a member)
Anyway, the guy who owned the place (I forgot his name) had about 5 of the best looking, healthiest looking tanks I have ever seen in my life.
My tank has never, and will never look that nice, which got me thinking about the hobby and all the problems associated with it.
There are unlimited levels that we can aspire to if we like.
Some of us have tanks that rival the sea and some of us have a tank that would make a sewer treatment facility look like Tahiti
sad.gif

In my mind, it doesn't matter. It was never meant to be a contest, unless, of course you are into contests.
Many of us feel that we have to have the best looking tanks and will go to any lengths and expensive to get it and some of us just want to keep a few fish alive. Some of us name our fish and treat them like family almost going into a depression if one of them, God Forbid, passes away
sad.gif

When I was looking at those tanks last night, I was not thinking, Wow, I wish I could have a tank like that. I was thinking, Wow, what a beautiful tank, look at those fish, not a scale out of place. The owner must really know what he is doing.

Not, What a jerk I am for not having such a nice tank.
We should not beat ourselves up for not having TOTM.
We should be happy that we are even able to keep anything alive, miles from the sea and greatful that we have such a rewarding hobby.

We could after all mortgage our homes and buy a huge tank and fill it with thousands of dollars worth of corals and the latest gadgets, and it would probably look great But then our hobby would be How much money we can spend rather than, what makes me happy and also lets me eat and pay my bills.
I have a fairly nice boat and could have a really nice boat where I could hire models to ride around with me and look really cool. I could do that, but then I would also be living in the street, so I may not be happy.
(I actually know someone who does that with the models)
dance.gif

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
+1

I have not been in the hobby nearly as long as you but I started in 1999 and just restarted 2 tanks last month and have noticed some serious changes in the "hobby" that I don't know how I feel about. On one hand, there are some "new to the hobby" amazing corals out there but on the other, the prices have gotten out of control. I understand the free market and people have freedom to price their frags or colonies as they see fit. That being said, I think that this hurts the hobby in the end. People are taking advantage and keeping costs high, buying for one price and then selling it for twice that. This is perfectly legal and most would argue that it is good business sense ... they would be wrong, in the long term it drives the costs up for all involved. This creates this elitist "I have a nicer car, house, boat, tank, coral than you do" attitude and it makes me nauseous. I did not get into this hobby for anyone but me, I like the relaxation that staring at a reeftank gives me, plain and simple. This hobby is a unique one in that our supplier (the ocean) is becoming more and more out of sync and the world's reefs are in pretty bad shape. On a small scale tank raised corals would not even dent the decline in worldwide coral populaition but with a grander vision, this hobby could be more important than simply a hobby. Coral propagation methods should be applauded and made as easy and fairly priced as possible. People will still make money, that is fine, but imnsho people should not be slapping LE on everything and pricing it out of this world. There is a greater social responsibility in this hobby than say toy trains or model cars. Sorry for my rant, :bablefish

James

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Paul, could not have said it better myself!!! Everyday I look at my little piece of the reef in wonder, and amazement! Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for allowing me to have apiece of HIS majestic beauty in my very own living room with little equipment!!!
This is my dream tank! Although, being able to afford, and accomadate a larger one would be an even bigger blessing I am very HAPPY! Not to mention I owe it to many members here on MR starting with Pseudo who brought me here so many moons ago, when he found this little lost puppy in the RC ocean.;)

James, I agree with you whole heartly!! Rant on buddy!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Someone also said to me that I have a really nice looking tank. I like it, but it is no where near as nice looking as many tanks I have seen and it never will.
I even get enjoyment from my local tank with no light and no aquascape.
I get a big thrill when I see something spawn. I don't want to raise the things or put the picture in a magazine but it gives me a great sense of accomplishment.
Even though in the same tank a couple of corals are dying. After all, we can't keep everything alive. Some animals, in some tanks thrive to the point of becoming a pest and those same animals in someone else's tank croaks as soon as it is introduced.
Why? Hell if I know, but it gives me something to think about, something to occupy my mind instead of thinking about aches and pains, money problems, family problems,
Worrying if I will ever go out with a Supermodel or a Semi Supermodel or even the biggest loser before they lost anything.
dance.gif

So, whatever your tank looks like. Enjoy it and don't go nuts.
It could be worse, you could be collecting stamps.
rolleyes.gif

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I was born on a small island in the caribbean not too far from the sea, i would say i have sea water running in my veins.The hobby has waken up the passion i had laying dormant in me for years.It has opened doors to knowledge, opportunities and to what i thought was the impossible.It's a challenge and the sky is the limit if you dare to take the challenge .

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Just so folks do know whose tanks Paul saw at the LIRA meeting - (links fron Reef Central don't work.. their choice not ours :() -they are 'Dickends' tanks.
James is one of the MOST devoted, generous reefers on the planet, and a true gentleman.
I have yet to be to a meeting there where a BUNCH of people dont walk out with frags from his tanks. The tanks are drop dead beautiful. I personally have stood there with him till the wee hours of the night talking tank..

Lucky you for getting to visit them Paul - I can't say enough about either them, or him :)

I will do a slight hijack on your thread here though to mention this - AT our Frag Swap tomorrow - James is introducing a new line of LED lighting - AND has generously donated a 24" LED fixture to the Raffle (said the Raffle Queen..lol)...the man doesn't just enjoy the hobby ..he lives it and mzkes sure that it is shared with others!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Willing to trade frags for name and cell # of person with boat and models!

This guy has a huge boat and he rents palm trees and beautiful models in string bikini's to hang out on his boat. I think there is also a disk jockey.

It's odd but it makes him happy, me too when I anchor next to him :tongue1:

I once had a cigarette boat pass me about 75 MPH with three of the most beautiful girls on it I have ever saw in my life. I docked next to him at the gas dock and saw that they were manniquins.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
This guy has a huge boat and he rents palm trees and beautiful models in string bikini's to hang out on his boat. I think there is also a disk jockey.

It's odd but it makes him happy, me too when I anchor next to him :tongue1:

I once had a cigarette boat pass me about 75 MPH with three of the most beautiful girls on it I have ever saw in my life. I docked next to him at the gas dock and saw that they were manniquins.
Wha.....LMAO

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
James generosity and hospitality is unmatched, his tanks are the reason we have yet to start a meeting on time :)

I couldn't agree more Paul, I've only been in the hobby a few years but can stare at my tanks for hours watching the interactions of the fish not just with each other but the corals; life's worries just cease to exist for that short while.

BTW Paul glad you made it out to one of the meetings, I thought you looked familiar (were in the back talking to Chris and Ray right?). Anyway Bill was incorrect, the 867 door fee wasnt from LIRA; we found out after it was LIPA, trying to re-coup some loss since you went solar :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: