ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So...my tank has been up and running for a few months....i purchased 6 fish In total....from the same lfs, and 3 of the 6 have died mysteriously.just woke up to hermits eating my purple firefish...he was swimm8n around and eating last night...my water parameters are spot on. Ive lost one banghai cardinal and one blue green chromis...i have an ocelaris clown and a chromis left....i definitely won't Be buying anymore fish from those guys

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
What is your temp range? Do you have a skimmer or other means of oxygenating the water? Sometimes fish just die, filefish can lock in place in a rock crevice at night and be eaten alive. If I saw a trend of fish dying overnight for no reason I would look into lack of oxygen/low ph issue which is worse with high temps.

ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My temp stays consistently between 76-77 all day and night. I have a skimmer and extra flow head...and my ph is 8.4 during the day and about 8.1 at night...the firefish used to be active and unafraid....but he started acting funny the last 2-3 days....hiding and not eating...hes only been in my tank for a week. I got him and the 2 chromis the same day...one chromis died the first day 3 hrs after i acclimated him.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Just leave what you have for a while before adding more fish. Definitely buy fish from a store with a decent system, free of blemishes, and watch it feed before purchasing. Sometimes we lose fish regardless.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Salt water fish r tricky a lot times they just up and die some ppl suspect that the fish from certain areas still use cyanide to collect their fish so a seemingly healthy fish just dies after being in tank few days -weeks due to the cyanide also some fish r just tough to keep I had 4 red stripe tile fish only 1 lived and I've had it for long time now same with my banner fish had 4 3 out of 4 just disappeared after weeks of eating great and No obvious stress or disease the 1 that lived is a fatty and in awesome shape it's very frustrating so here is my advice stick with cheap fish there r a lot of really cool fish for 30$ or so until u get more exp
Time will definitely help ur tank settle in and as Jackson mentioned make sure fish is eating before buying look really closely at the fish for any signs disease etc we do best we can but sometimes fish just die ( it has been my exp if a fish makes it past the first few weeks and settles in well not getting picked on constantly then many will live a long time
Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: