JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard from stores and internet sources that angel fish like to pick at corlas, but i know ppl who sucessfully keep angels in their reef systems,
was wondering how much truth there is to this and if angels,spefically majestic angels are safe in a reef system..thx

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hit and miss. It's a risk at best. Majestics are one of the riskier species to try. Usually, people can get away with dwarf angels (Centroypges) and certain large angels like Regals. But I've had the worst luck with angels except for my current dwarf angel.

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t's hit and miss. It's a risk at best.

ya i know,hopefully it will behave in my tank i dont have ,many corlas yet
just a couple of mushroom rocks and a green goni. i got a vuud with a lemonpeel and a queen angel and the work out ok for him so i figured id give it a go.....
they say if you get them young you might have a change, by getting them use to the food you provide. good luck though.
they could be tricky since im about 90% sure mine is wild caught. havent found out too much on the diet of angel fish in the wild ,,plant or protien ?

also i will be upgrading from a 54 reef to a 180 reef around the begining of next year will that make a diifrence in the way the fish may interact with corals in my tank... thx for info :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaefish are omnivores for the most part, and I would include a diet heavy with algae (like Ocean Nutrition Formula 2).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience... I had a large emperor that was hand reared and had a supposedly reef safe history. All went well for a coupla months and he left my corals and anenomes alone. Then one day he went bad on me and started to attack the anenomes, killing one almost immediately and absolutely nuking my tank in the process. Before I could get him out he damaged another anenome to the extent that it never recovered and died a week after I finally caught him. In all the time I never saw him touch a coral though. Dont take a chance IMHO. (Although some people may have some success with other species though)

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emperor or majestic ,, doesnt the not reef safe label exist for most if not all angel fish,, i know its a risk but this is an excetional specimen imo,
so i took the risk, hopefully he behaves been good so far :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. I'd make prearrangements for housing it just in case it doesn't work out.

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well im leaving my 54gal operational when i getr my 180 so i could leave him in there if it came down to it but i dont really want to do that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed those who kept large angels in reef tanks tend to have quite a full tank. My theory on the subject is that with so much to choose from if they pick they'll have a wide range of large colonies so that there won't be much stress... don't know how valid this theory is though :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Len on this one JDK, I also thought it was worth a chance - and it worked- until one day instinct took over....rather set up a fish only tank if you want to keep one. IMHO a 54 is way too small for that type of fish. As an update, I am progressing past the planning stages of my next tank (Never learn do we?) which will be a rock lobster and lion fish tank- my ex-emperor will be returning from exile into that...(200ga) I dont know if it was just me, but the fish in question almost seemed to maliciously damage stuff when he turned bad....

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know that a 54 is too samll for that fish i am upgrading to a 180 or possibly a 240gal in a few months,allredy got a light :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. navarchus is actually one of the better risks, as is P. imperator - this is mine from my last reef.

Just get them small.

Jim

3459_1079380532.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: