wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Im looking to build myself a beckett skimmer but the cost of cast acrylic tubing is pretty high and most places make you order a minimum of 5 to 6 feet and i only need about 2 feet. Im looking to order anywhere in the range of 6"-8" and also 4"-6" diameter pipe. Anyone have any extra from their own projects or about to start a project and want to split an order?

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No i have plenty of PVC thanks though alfredo.

The Great rupert, yeah i tried usplastics if im gonna get extruded tubing which i really dont want i can get it local with no minimums. But cast is much better. As far as plans go i dont have any step by step plans but the reefcentral DIY forum is loaded with pictures and advice, ive talked to a few peopel who have made them as well.
Do you know anyone that wants one maybe if i make 2 at the same time that will be the way to be able to use all that comes in teh minimum order.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm look ing for a very small skimmer for emergancies. 2-3 inches diameter is really better for me. I know those beckett designs proform REALLY well and know 1 or two people on this forum are in the market, but this is really more than I need.

If you really care about looks mounting a colored light makes all the bubbles and foam look really cool. it's worth it if you are shelling out the extra cash for the good looks of cast tubing.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey thats not a bad idea, do you have any link s to one thats done liek that, where are you suggesting mounting the bulb, inside the skimmer? or outside? and what kind of bulb?

Also i was in the middle of making a 3 inch diametr skimmer which is almost done, i can finish it up and see how it works, its about 20 inches tall i think i was making it for a 10 gallon nano but i decided i didnt need it. ill trade ya for a frag or something if your interested. its made out of regular pvc so you cant see through it.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Inside would bew too much trouble even if it didn't short. I'd mount a cold cathode tube behind it. youy could even use a product to etch a design on the skimmer. it would look sand blasted and would catch the light differently.
APPLIQ.GIF

you basicly use a sticker for a stensil and put on this reusable acid to etch. it might not show with all the froth and bubbles. you could start a new trend. you could even put a window in the stand so the skimmer is visable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: