Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got about 10 or 12 hermits crabs. Most are just basic hermits and a few are red scarlet hermits...

When they go to work on algae they do a great job of keeping the rocks clean, but most of the time they seem very lazy. Sitting in the same spots for days at a time and finally moving only when I feed the tank.

It's almost as if they are conditioned to feed on the fish food and not anything such as algae or left over food waste.

So I'm wondering...has anyone every pulled the hermit crabs out and kept them separate for a few days to perhaps spark their hunger a little?

I was thinking that being separated from any food source for a 2 or 3 days may make the algae, which I know they eat, more enticing to them.

Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The red scarlets go to town on the algae. Small patches literally disappear overnight.

They crabs a few months ago would be tripping over each other for spots near algae and a 3 or 4 crab battle royale was not uncommon. Latelly they post up and don't move for 2 days at a time to the point I think their dead.

Several small patches of algae are starting to grow and they show no interest in it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: