aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Does any body have a yellow headed Jawfish. I just got him today, SUCH A NICE FISH!!! Anyway, just want input on your feeding technique and what you are feeding it. I turn off my pump... and put in about 1/2 a block of frozen mysis shrimp after stuffing my clown. Then I stir it up with a chopstick so I can get it near the burrow. Does this sound okay? What do you guys do?

FYI, he doesn't seem to be eating much yet... still very shy.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
If I remember correctly, I think KathyC got one a while back in her nano. Ask her about it.

only after she saw mine!:tongue1:

Since they're new, I wouldn't try to get too close to the hole or they get too scared to come out for the food. Just try put the food in water flowing in their direction. After they adjust to your tank more, they can get more used to you and will become more brave.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
only after she saw mine!:tongue1:

So true!! :hug:
Mings Jawfish were so adorable, I just had to get my own :)

Anzt..what sized tank you have him/her in?
Mine is in my 12g nano, along with a M/F pair of Sharknose Gobies (hoping these two mate!), and a small seahorse that I kind of inherited. Ming's advice is spot on as they do tend to be timid at first. I found it best to stay back from the tank when he first settled in and allow him to eat in private. I also don't turn off my flow for him to eat and he also eats cyclopeeze (the good frozen type.. I get it from HoF)
He still darts back into his burrow if I make a sudden move around the tank.
Great little fish, loads of personality, and oh so pretty! :biggrin:

Edit...do you have any small rocks in your sandbed, they like to construct their burrows using these and at night they will close up the opening to the burrow by moving these small rocks in front of it while they 'sleep'.?

My guy Goofy..
IMG_2974.jpg

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
He built his little area already. There are a bunch of shells and rocks but he didn't get them yet. Kathy C your rockwork looks awesome!!! A little too late to change mine around now. My Shrimp will go after my hand when I stick it in there.

My tank has A LOT of flow in it for a Nano, so I think I have to turn off the pump because the food just gets sucked right into the overflow chamber. Dombowski upgraded the Maxi Jet and there is Koralia Nano... Not sure which it is anymore.

14 Gallon Biocube- 1 False Perc, 1 Bi Color Blenny, and 1 Jawfish

wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try about 5 in a tank it is the funniest things to watch ,they will steal each others nest rubble every day is a side show ! they will do this forever i have 4 and they are the mostfun for the buck i'm telling you thet are crazy ! yes they will soon dart out of theyr bourrowsand greedily eat like pigs ! good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: