A

Anonymous

Hi All,

RIO pumps, YUCK !

While I have not had a Rio pump dump copper into any of my tanks, I have had a lot of them burn out.

My list of “approved” submersible pumps includes MAG Drive, Maxijet, Visajet, and Otto. I have had the Maxijets wear out, after a few years service, but they “die quietly”.

Contact Monolith Marine Monsters ([email protected]). I believe that they have a non RIO solution for Turboflotor T-1000 skimmers.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

If you check the archievs, you will find my tale of woe...

2500 burned and released oil or something into my tank.

2100 lasted for years. I replaced it when the gasket around the cord dried out, but I had no problems with it.

A

Anonymous

I can't comment on the RIOs per se, but for the HO skimmers (CPR Backpak and others) and to replace the Rio 600 RVT, you could try the Maxi-jet 1200. It is supposed to be more reliable. CPR website has a BBS that discusses how the RIO 600 RVT performs as well as the Maxi-jet but the Maxi-jet is reputed to be better built. CPR is designing a pre-skimmer/bubble trap for the Backpak 2 that will fit the Maxi-jet but it is a few weeks/months off yet.

A

Anonymous

P.S. there is a retro kit to make the Maxi-jet reverse venturi. I have seen them at Premium Aquatics, with a brief write-up of how they work and applications. About $4-5, as I recall.

A

Anonymous

Better yet, here is the write up:
NEW Maxi-jet Turbo Venturi Kit - This kit converts the Maxijet 900 or 1200 powerhead into a great venturi pump for many popular skimmers or DIY projects. It is a small venturi that goes on the intake, not export side of the pump. Makes the water/air suck into the pump and create a froth of bubbles. Similar to how the Rio600RVT pump works. You can use a Maxijet 900 or 1200 plus the
Turbo Kit on a CPR Bakpak (note: the BBX and Surface boxes will not fit over a maxijet pump, just a little too large, have custom ones in the works though for this purpose), the KNOP, Precision Marine HOT1 & Big Mombassa skimmer we carry all work excellent with the Maxijet1200 and Turbo kit.

Also available is a 2pk of black coarse sponges, you slip one sponge over the intake of the pump, so it protects your fish, snails, cucumbers from being sucked into the impeller, plus is a nice prefilter,
especially if you use these pumps for a sand filter.
This is our recommend powerhead pump. The maxi-jet's are very small in size, yet put out a large volume of water. They have heat protection and will shut down before burning out. So if your sump runs dry, these guys will still work after you let them cool for a few minutes and restart. Try that with a
rio pump! The Maxi-jet's and SENs pumps are the most durable pumps we have found in their class.

A

Anonymous

Both mine and my sons have all krapped like others. My sons did the oil thingy in his tank. I have had a couple seize up and like Bob a Rio2100 actually caught fire in my sump.
Someone once told me they are bad with kalk which is what happened to mine but my son does not dose kalk.

------------------
Doug Lowey

A

Anonymous

My Rio, and unfortunately my turboflotor, are now out of my sump. And I dosed kalk right by the inlet! After all this I feel lucky and glad to have a friend like Minh. Designing a new needle wheel may actually be fun. I will check out the one link mentioned above. When I figure out how to do this, I will post it.

Scott

A

Anonymous

Scary stuff. I use RIO's in my return and on my CPR Backpack II. Looks like it is time to go shopping for some new pumps!

Thanks for the warning!

TF

A

Anonymous

I had asked this question a few weeks back but no one responded. How many of the people who have responded that RIO's are bad pumps and have had problems with them were using Kalkwasser? I wonder if this is a correlation between the Kalkwasser and increased buildup in the pumps which has led to their failure?..........RR

A

Anonymous

Would't having your Rio plugged into a GFCI help? Should't it trip as soon as the pump shorts out or is it already to late by then?

JR

A

Anonymous

JR,

I heard that the seals actually fail as well. This may occur with or without a GFI. When the seals fail, in goes water and out goes copper. Not good for a reef, but if you have a FO and activated carbon going, it may not amount to much if it even happens.

A

Anonymous

I always thought you should dose near the inlet of your skimmer helps to percipitate phosphates.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: