jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Very interesting. I know Dnov gets great results on his tank and hasn't done a water change in a year (Don't tell Triton ;)) I'm going to look further into this because keeping my nutrients in check is becoming a PITA.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Rich I've used pellets and vodka in past and sps never did well but in my 220 I have 5 lg fish and 20 or so sm-med so nutrients r too high although sps r doing ok I'm not ready to stop trying for better growth and color I'd like to see if having most of the reaction done in an isolated tank then flushed into the main system will be better way to carbon dose for sps!

If I was not doing sps pellets r a no brainer

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have run this system , with methanol instead of the nitragone . There is a big post on reefcentral on how to make this. It cost nearly nothing to make and run. To me the hardest part is getting everything going monitoring and checking levels in chamber and when to flush chamber. You still have to keep a keen eye on it. Since this became a chore for me , I changed over to a sulfur denitrator . There is no flushing it runs 24 / 7 off a cole palmer pump. The only monitoring needed is tank and water coming out of chamber. Hope this helps . Stability is the key no mater which one you choose . For phosphates both need a little extra work. The sulfur will go after po 4 when nitrates gone . the nature reef needs a second additive. Or you can use seakleer lanthium chloride also.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Greg, how does the sulfur denitrator work in comparison to the natrureef denitrator?

If I understand correctly, the sulfur denitrator creates an anaerobic zone and turns no3 to gas, where the natureef method is a contained concentrated carbon dosed/bacteria super populated zone that is flushed into the tank periodically through the day. The sulfur denitrator strips the system, where the natureef impregnates the system with bacteria which which cleans the system. I'm trying to understand each system so please correct me if I'm wrong.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Matt it just takes some time , I was into second cycle plenty of mass inside chamber , just go tired of playing around with it. You need to have patience and I gave up. My system is 1200 gallons. There are three 4 x8 foot tanks 4 40 breeders and a 60 x 36 tank. I was doing anemones / thinking of going back to SPS there is one piece I have and doing well. Darren sells the system / you can make it yourself and save a ton of money and have better quality equipment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: