Veng68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using a denitrator? I'm thinking of setting one up for a clownfish grow out tank and I was wondering if anyone has used any of these denitrators:

1. Nitra-Gon or Nitra-Max coil denitrator.
2. Aquamedic Nitrate Reducer.
3. Sulfur Denitrator.

Any experiences or thoughts about set up and application of a denitrator, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Victor

lawndoctor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Nitra Gon coil denitrator in my sump for the past two years. My nitrates dropped from 10 ppm to zero after installation and have remained zero ever since. It requires regular monitoring and adjustment to keep the right flow/drip rate. I check mine weekly along with my other weekly tank chores. In my experience, it's simple and effective with no media to worry about changing.

Veng68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply lawndoctor
icon_cool.gif
Just wondering how you have your Nitra-Gon set up. I think I've read somewhere that your supposed to connect it to your some but I was wondering how you set yours up? Did you set it up like they said with the sump or do you have it running with a small pump?

Cheers,
Victor

matthew

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too. It works just like they said and is not very hard to maintane at all. It took my tank from 40ppm to oppm in about 2to 3 months. I know why mine went high I left a sponge in the sump and did not see it.but my tank was always around 10ppm. I left it in any way b/c it does not hert at all and works great.
http://communities.msn.com/mattsreef90gallonref

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same one and it bought mine down to around 1-5ppm and i wroks really well the only thing i didnt like is it takes about 3 months for it to start working the instructions say 5 weeks but mine tock about dubble

lawndoctor

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victor: My sump has different compartments which maintain different water levels. I placed the Nitra Gon itself on the side with the lower water level and placed the input hose in the side with the higher water level. The water level at the input side is higher than that at the output, so I just started a siphon and it runs continuously on the siphon. I adjust the output valve weekly to keep it flowing at the right rate. The instructions say to run about one drop per minute in the beginning until the nitrates get to zero, than to run it wide open after that so the bacteria stay alive. Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: