d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Hi, back in May I purchased an Apex and I simply hate it. These things are not for people with simple systems, I see no benefit to it other than the pretty display and the pump feed option. I dont have any reactors that can affect PH so it has provide no service to me.

I kept it bc many sent me PM's saying to keep it and just give it a try.

The last try I am going to give this Apex is if it can dim led units.

I have a question that maybe some of you can help me answer.....maybe..hopefully

Can you please confirm if the Apex I own is capable of accomplishing the following?

It?s the full Apex with temp and ph probe, the $540.00 unit.

I am going most likely going to buy generic manually dimmable led units, any brand, TaoTronics, Evergrow, Reefbreeders, just generic manually dimmable, meaning the drivers are in fact dimmable drivers.

The units have 3 plugs. 1 plug for whites, 1 plug for mixed colored leds, 1 plug for moonlights. Don?t worry about the moonlights, that plug will be on its own separate timer.

Can I use my Apex variable speed ports to dim the led units from 0% to 75%?

The goal is to use the Apex to turn off and turn on the leds with a dawn to dusk effect.

Can my Apex help me do this?
If Apex variable speed ports cant be used for this than I really have no use for an Apex.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Thank you for assisting me

Ok, so another thing to add to the list when ahopping for leds, confirm if units/drivers can handle volt changes

I dont need programmable leds but if Apex variable ports can serve as on/off timers and in the process create a dawn to dusk effect then it will be the first valuable thing this Apex will do for me

I will add 0-ten volt handling capability to my led research, thank you

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just got off the phone with Paul from Neptune regarding a similar dimming question. And before you purchase anything I would recommend calling him to find out FOR SURE if the brand your buying can do exactly what you want.

Apex, nor any controller for that matter, can not give me the desired effect that I was looking for, Sunrise/Sunset.

I currently use a DIY system by RapidLED using the Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable drivers . The lights themselves are great. It's the dimmable driver that's the issue. It take a certain amount of voltage to operate. So anything below 10% they will not turn on.

Paul was super knowledgeable and a huge help. Didn't try to push anything on me.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Wow, they must like you more than they liked me.

I got a polite response and a link to their website for a list of all the high end fixtures that are "apex ready".

They told me they cannot speak on fixtures that have not been qualified as Apex ready.

I just got off the phone with Paul from Neptune regarding a similar dimming question. And before you purchase anything I would recommend calling him to find out FOR SURE if the brand your buying can do exactly what you want.

Apex, nor any controller for that matter, can not give me the desired effect that I was looking for, Sunrise/Sunset.

I currently use a DIY system by RapidLED using the Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable drivers . The lights themselves are great. It's the dimmable driver that's the issue. It take a certain amount of voltage to operate. So anything below 10% they will not turn on.

Paul was super knowledgeable and a huge help. Didn't try to push anything on me.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The leds you mentioned... Taotronics, reefbreeders, evergrow, etc are NOT controllable. All you will be able to do is turn them on/off.

Look at buildmyled.com acan, kessil, a few others...very hard to find as it seems most manufacturers want to provide these functions for you. The best way for this functionality is for DIY led setups.

Honestly it sounds like a controller may not be for you. And i'm a big controller advocate.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Yes, I am thinking the same thing, controllers are not for me.

This apex is setup to shut off the lights if the tank is overheating, did not happen once this summer, I have window AC with incorporated digital thermstat set to 78, AC took care of cooling and I got home to a cool living each summer day.

It monitors PH, in all these months PH goes from 7.8 to 8.0, just normal fluctuations, corals did not show adverse reactions. Since i dont have reactors that can malfunction and affect PH adversely hence a controller can shut off the reactor pumps then monitor my PH really is a pure waste of time.

I am drawing skimmer air from outdoors and PH is up to 8.3, controller had nothing to do with it nor do I see corals dancing of joy because of the increase but it was $4.00 of black tubing, cheap experiment.

I don't need controllable lights but was hoping this $540.00 machine could be of use, sounds like it is not. The way I see it is that if I have to buy high end LED fixtures that are "apex ready" then I may as well buy LED Fixtures with built in controllers.

My skimmer has auto shutoff overflow protection via an inexpensive float switch I purchased.

Considering skimmer neck cleaner but that can be ran off a $10 timer.

I should probably just sell this Apex to someone that enjoys programming stuff or has a more delicate and complex system than I do.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
It sounds like you've managed a lot of the redundancies and aren't so concerned about monitoring and want to keep it simple..so not my usual recommendation...but ditch it :) Use the cash for a nice new light. Reefbreeders or Evergrow IT series should do what you want nicely.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Neptune Apex sold

No dusk to dawn so might as well follow Lnevos advise and sell it to generate lighting funds. Must say almost wanted to shed a tear when I was putting the unit in the box to handed to Dennis but I counted the fish already, none committed suicide.

Now its time to hunt for the perfect light

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
The tank is 48x36x30 its 200 gallons.

I just made an offer to online store Oceanrevive for two Evergrow IT2080's. Offer probably wont be accepted, they usually counter with an offer that is like $2 less then the original asking price.

You mentioned the IT series so I am thinking two IT2080 mounted sideways would provide coverage with no dark or shadow spots.

The tank has a center brace so each section is 24x36.

Whats the tank dimensions?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
The Photon 48 has 102 leds and per Reef Breeders I would need two units, $1k plus shipping.

The IT2080's have 99 leds each and two units can probably be obtained for $800, I think.

I just have no clue which specific units will provide 100% coverage, I dont like the shadows I have seen on under lit aquariums, not enough led light.

I am also thinking of just getting the ATI 10x54w that is on sale now here on MR, the annual cost of the bulbs is what I am apprehensive on, I have had fish tanks since the age of 10, I dont see the current tank going anywhere, the cost of so many T5 bulbs over a 5 year period is a lot of money.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: