Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i just picked up a couple of test kits.
they say the following

DKH:8
calcium:600
ph is between 7.7 - 7.9, never gets above 8

is it possible for calcium to get that high? i was using kalk up until 2 weeks ago and dont dose anything else.

on a side note, my tank has been up for 2+ years and i have absolutley 0 coraline algae on the walls, i was told this was probaly because my cal, alk was out of wack.

o0jmadr0x0o

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
no mag test kit yet, but i use oceanic salt, i herd it is high in mag.

my lights are 8x54w t5....4 ati blue+, 2 ati aquablue, 1 uvl actinic white, 1 10k

i was about to purchase esv 2 part, could i use only the alk part of the two part until my alk gets to where i want it?

BTW i tested alk 3 more times, alk seems to be more towards 6.5dkh

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I think you should retest with a different test kit to make sure you are getting accurate readings before you add anything.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I'v must have heard those three words a thousand times but B-Ionic Cal/Alk works very well if you want purple algae and it contains Mg. as well just be sure to monitor your Ph.when using this stuff.

B-Ionic is a 2 part 'system'. It does not contain Magnesium, you need to add that seperately.

i was about to purchase esv 2 part, could i use only the alk part of the two part until my alk gets to where i want it?

Yup
Get a Magnesium test kit :)
You may also want to test your freshy made up SW to see what the readings are, and then you'll know what you are adding when you do water changes.

Did you stop using the kalk when you noticed the high Ca reading?

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I kinda doubt your Ca is 600ppm--I think it would have started precipitating out of solution by then, but i do believe your Ca could be quite high and your Alk quite low. So, I would do as suggested above and test again with better kits, test for Mg. and test your salt. Then get yourself a good alkalinity supplement ( part 1 of the b-ionic is fine but it doesn't make sense to use up one part without using the other) and slowly bring up your Alk. levels. As you do this, you'll see the Ca. levels drop as well ( they work together like a seesaw) when they meet in the middle at the appropriate levels, resume dosing both Alk. and Ca. ( and Mg. if needed).

o0jmadr0x0o

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
well i tested my waterchange water, used oceanic salt. alk tested at 11dkh and calcium at 550. 3 days after the water change my tank tests as alk is 6dkh and calcium is still rely high, around 580.
i have been reading about using baking soda for raising alk, has anyone tried this?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
B-Ionic is a 2 part 'system'. It does not contain Magnesium, you need to add that seperately.]

Yup
Get a Magnesium test kit :)
You may also want to test your freshy made up SW to see what the readings are, and then you'll know what you are adding when you do water changes.

Did you stop using the kalk when you noticed the high Ca reading?
Not trying to start a war you guys knows best i'm just a newbie but i just checked again and the B-Ionic Calcium part of the 2 part system contain Magnesium .And yes you will need to add Magnesium seperatly to get it on the high side.

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I use the api test kit and it works great for me the ph is hard to make out on that kit but eveything else is easy my dkh is 9 and my ca try to keep in the 500 the high side wount heart nothing I use the same salt that and when I test a new bacth off water i made it comes out 10 dkh and 440 ca when test .you might have bought and old kit thats been in the store what the exp date on the? do you have anything in the tank like stony corals any coral that need ca because if you dont why are you add kalk to the system.

Last edited:

jnohs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of salt mixes are high in cal, alk, and mag to compensate for the dificeny that is present in the tank water.

lets consider a 25% water change
600 cal new water
300 cal old water
--------------------
375 cal after water change

so high readings on new water and barly used water are fine.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I have had the same problem now for years I never add calcium to my tank I tested my mag it was fine my alk is fine, I can never get my ph above 8.0 and my calcium is off the chart on the test kit I have tryed a million dif kits and same crap can anyone explain

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
for ph tests and no3, api is fine. For calcium, mag and po4 use something better. You wasted your money on the API, they have a very broad range on the tests and have a tendancy to send out bad test kits.

Salifert, elos and lamotte are the 3 good test kits. Lamotte can be a pain to use sometimes.

Also, higher calcium is bad for the tank without balancing alk and mag. Saturating a tank with calcium will produce calcium carbonate deposits in the tank. And purple coraline algae is based on lighting and balanced calc/alk/mag as well as iodine and strontium. Mag plays a big part in balaning alk/cal and the ability for coral to use up that calcium. Its something that should be tested if your having problems balancing the two as thats what most likely causing the problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: