caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I bought some pc lights from them in the past. Save your money and buy something of quality. There stuff is crap, you might save money now, but will regret it in the long run or unless your tank catches fire which ever comes first...

mikey3165

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i was talking to a lfs owner and they stated that a guy had a fire caused by the oddysea lighting system and he had a friend who was an electrician so they opened it up to see what was wrong and it was the wiring that was like in a backwards or wrong format and they changed it to never make it right so unless your gonna do that i wouldnt recomend them.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
From what I've read and heard their products belong here
2rdz3t2.jpg

Jdubbs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have had one, definetly not the best quality but you get what you pay for. if you do I'd change the ballast on it, its suposidly much better and safer but I got rid of mine.

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had bought a light about 4 years ago from them, I never had a problem, but then again I have the ballast boxes on a piece of slate, Im a licensed Electrician the housing Imo is worth the money.. the ballast's are UL approved. bulbs are crap. changed them to uv, also its a tar ballast for the halide.. which is the same ballast use in all pfo's
I do agree you pay for what you get.. I still have a fixture working great , as far as it catching fire, I bet the house's that caught fire were an absoulte mess with fire hazards.. The ballasts are remote and thats were it gets hot, and a fire starter is either from something being flamiable near the ballast or the bulb sockets get salted up loose contact, or salt build up.. Its better than a retro fit with all exposed connections..

I agree with jhart...I have a 48" fixture and it works great. As mentioned by him the bulbs are crap and I don't think the ballasts that come with the unit turn on any other bulbs either. If you change the MH ballasts I think you can have a decent light fixture for half the price because I think the PC ballasts are no issue. Like jhart said those houses that caught on fire must have been because of some stupid way they kept their fixture and it those people might have made their house catch fire with any other ballast/fixture. But hey everyone has their own opinion and mine is....if you want an MH fixture these units aren't bad, just maybe change the MH ballast like I plan on doing.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A freind of mine bought a skimmer and mh from them and hasnt been very happy with either. The skimmer arrived broken the store offered to replace the broken part but Steve(my friend) would have had to pay the shipping so he just fixed himself. The pump they sent was too small so he had to go out and buy a bigger pump. The mh after a few months he could smell something burniing so he took the hood down and the mh bulb was actually melting some of the ficture(sp) so he had to go in and remove the plastic that was close to the mh bulb. Then about a month ago the ballist went out so he had to reorder the ballist. The mh are about a yr and a half old. I bought my mh from reefgeek and I paid a little more for them but I havent had a problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: