Rating - 100%
164   0   0
What are your thoughts on kindergarten schooling options in NYC? My 4 year old is about to enter the public school system and we're honestly not sure which is the best option. She's been going to a private pre-k. While we're impressed with the discipline and culture we've seen in a couple of the charter schools we've visited, we've also heard that regular public school can be a better option (depending on the school, teachers, etc). We also hear that some schools are cutting programs which seem to be foundational. Then there's the G&T program. Is it worthwhile pursuing this or does it put an unnecessary burden on a 4 to 5 year old? Does anybody know any success stories coming out of the G&T? She is our first child in the school system and of course we're concerned about the environment that we end up choosing for her. (Yeah - social dynamics lol!)

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
What are your thoughts on kindergarten schooling options in NYC? My 4 year old is about to enter the public school system and we're honestly not sure which is the best option. She's been going to a private pre-k. While we're impressed with the discipline and culture we've seen in a couple of the charter schools we've visited, we've also heard that regular public school can be a better option (depending on the school, teachers, etc). We also hear that some schools are cutting programs which seem to be foundational. Then there's the G&T program. Is it worthwhile pursuing this or does it put an unnecessary burden on a 4 to 5 year old? Does anybody know any success stories coming out of the G&T? She is our first child in the school system and of course we're concerned about the environment that we end up choosing for her. (Yeah - social dynamics lol!)

I'll be going to college as a freshman next fall so I guess you can call me a reputable source. I went to a public school until third grade and then transferred to a private school until now. Looking at the kids I went to public school with that are also graduating public high school now. Most of them turned out to be bad news and not even going to college. My private school on the other hand this year had 100% student college acceptance rates and some kids are even going to schools like Harvard, Princeton, Georgetown, MIT and where I will be attending, RIT. So as you could see there is a big difference. The discipline was not fun over the years. I had to wear a suit to school every day and rules were strict but now as I am graduating I can fully understand the benefit of the private education and how it's worked out for the better of me. You may not be thinking this much into your child's future but coming from someone actually graduating high school this Thursday I am very familiar with what different schools are like nowadays. I've got hundreds of friends from all different private and public schools around NY and there is definitely a noticeable difference in the students being produced.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
it depends on the neighborhood. i grew up in a pretty crappy area of queens and my parents did their best with what little they got. they sent me to a catholic grade school and high school. the zone public schools were pretty bad. one thing i used to tell people who asked about my catholic high school vs. the zone public high school.....no one ever got shot at my high school. i also felt that the education i received were at a higher level.

that said, two of my three kids are going to the public grade school and high school in town. these schools are the top ranked ones around. that's the reason we moved here. my middle child did attend the grade schools in town but he is now in an out of state boarding high school on scholarship. the facility and the level of education there is above and beyond what our local schools are able to provide.

i say do your research and provide the best education you can afford for your child. but more importantly, take an interest and get involve in their learning as much as possible. we are very fortunate that my wife is able to be a stay at home mom. she's very involved in their school work and extra curricular activities. we feel this is the best that we could provide for our children.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
^^^x2

I know plenty of kids who go to public schools in the city and they're excelling. I also know kids who are failing in private schools - oops sorry, in private schools you're not allowed to fail, they 'counsel you out' - hence their high graduation rates.

The above poster who claims that there's a world of difference is simply wrong. Quite a few NYC public schools also have very high graduation rates - Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, Bard, NEST+M, I could go on. All these schools generate Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Columbia etc grads every single year.

As tomtooth says, the important thing is to take an interest in your child's education and don't simply drop them off at school and expect them to be successful automatically.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
^^^x2

I know plenty of kids who go to public schools in the city and they're excelling. I also know kids who are failing in private schools - oops sorry, in private schools you're not allowed to fail, they 'counsel you out' - hence their high graduation rates.

The above poster who claims that there's a world of difference is simply wrong. Quite a few NYC public schools also have very high graduation rates - Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, Bard, NEST+M, I could go on. All these schools generate Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Columbia etc grads every single year.

As tomtooth says, the important thing is to take an interest in your child's education and don't simply drop them off at school and expect them to be successful automatically.

This. :) There is no easy answer to your question... there are great public, charter and private school options as there are scary ones. The most important factor when choosing a school is dependant upon your child and his/her needs. G&T programs can be great and they can also be a sham. I teach G&T at a school not so far from you and while some of the students are really bright, some are barely literate... the titles mean little. I would say that at this early stage in the game (for you Nigel) the school culture you want should be disciplined and the teachers should be accessible, the best way to find this out is to talk to parents who have children in the schools you are looking at. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You have to do your research and find out what's available to you. I have 4 kids, all of whom went through the NYC public school system, and all of them got an excellent education. I'm a public school teacher myself (biology, HS level) and even though my school is not a specialized one, it gives students an excellent education and has an excellent graduation rate. Whatever school you get your kids into, its important to be very involved in their education and with the school. So many parents just give up once their kids get to MS or HS. You must remain involved every stage, from K through 12. I don't mean being a "helicopter" parent, just a concerned and interested one. Get to know your kids teachers..call them or email them, don't wait for them to contact you. Teachers really appreciate working with sincerely involved and interested parents.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
^^^x2

Those are specialized public high schools though. Any kid can't just go there you need to take a test similar to a private school.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: