A

Anonymous

What sort of coverage do these units get? The website I've been looking at claims as much as 50% more output compared to normal T5 units, but I'm not sure how many tubes I'd need for what tank. Penetration-wise, it doesn't look like I'd have any problems, but in terms of coverage, I'm less sure.

On current planning, I'm torn between a 48"x18"x18" tank and a 48"x24"x18" (length x depth x height, in case I've got the order mixed up - it always confuses me). Would 4x54w do for both or would I need 6x54w? 6 tubes is a big increase in price (75% more!) and I want to avoid unnecessary expense (but have already decided that the protein skimmer and lighting is where I will pay what I need to, to get the best I can push myself to afford).

Concept at the moment for the tank is stocking based round rics, shrooms, zoas, LPS. Would also like to be able to include a clam or two and just possibly a BTA.

Linky.

http://www.bluzooaquatics.co.uk/pro...tID=1249&ProductDetailID=77&SubCatagoryID=480

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are thinking clams I would go 6 tubes, depending on the clam. As far as the rest of the livestock you mentioned 4 would be fine. I find my lps, chalices in particulair do better in dimmer light. Some of my chalices receeded in my SPS tank and do well in my dim lit nano. If you think crocea or maxima for the clam I would go 6, or place it very high. Otherwise 4 should be good for you. The powermodule is nice, I got a 12 bulb sfiligoi for my upcoming sps tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ben - very helpful. That's exactly the sort of dilemma I thought I'd be faced with. Shrooms would clearly do better under rather dimmer lighting and I have a feeling the same is true for rics (though they might need more than standard shrooms). 6 bulbs being a bit much for LPS is new to me though. Much as I'd love a clam and a BTA, maybe I really need to go with a 4 bulb set up as the shrooms/rics and LPS are the priority for me. :?

This is all very early days (tank at least a year away), but I need to make decisions now, as I want to start buying kit bit by bit so I can spread out the cost. :oops:

BTW, just had a look at the Sfiligoi. Wow, pretty sweet looking! Your sps will love you! 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Just had a look. Looks like a really nice fixture and, on the site I saw, for the price with bulbs included, pretty competitive. The advantage for me is that I can buy the ATI locally, whereas the Constellation I'd have to get shipped.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the ATI is the superior product ... but at a superior price tag.

Last I heard there was a pretty long waiting list on the PM's. Did someone finally start making them in the USA. I think they are only carried by one distributer here in the states.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine they sell here in the UK for less than the US. Couldn't find the US site quickly, but a 4 bulb 54w unit sells here for £263 and a 6 bulb 54w unit for £458. I could buy them here before moving back to Japan (in about a year on current planning) and run them off a transformer.

Lights in Japan are incredibly expensive. A single 250w MH pendant goes for over $1000.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 18" depth (height...that confuses me, too) I think 4 bulbs will be plenty of light for all that you've listed.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Craig. I'm leaning towards 4 bulbs as well. I saw somewhere someone suggest that a set up like this could work, with the neediest clams and BTA directly underneath the lights and those that prefer the dimmer light towards the sides. I think, on this basis, 4 bulbs could even work for a 24" wide/deep tank. Not ideal if I were looking to stock lots of SPS, but with my prefered stocking, this might actually work quite well.

I think I know what I want for my joint birthday and Christmas present this year. 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: