scampi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I have a 6 bulb 36" sunpower with 3 month old ati bulbs(1 ati pink/purpl, 3 blue plus and 2 specials). It is on an oceanic 58 gallon only about 3 inches above water. I am having a problem with some monti caps( red only not green ) and certain sps bleaching out. Is it possible that the light is too bright for them. Never thought that this could be but all parameters are good and consistant. Controlled with Apex. 78.5 F, 1.026, ph=8.1, Ca= 420, po4, nh4, and no2/3= roughly zero. I run carbon and ferrous for po4. I am at as loss. 15% weekly water change. I never seem to have luck with SPS. Always seem to slowly die. So frustrating. The ferrous is a new thing and that is about it. I also just decreased my daytime light to 6 hrs from 10 hr. Actinics are on for 12 hrs. I hope this helps. I am doing something wrong but do not know what. I also have a vortech mp10 and koralia 3 in tank for flow. Sump with macro and rock. Any insight would be appreciated. It is a mixed reef. no problems with softies or lps. I have a couple chalices that are doing amazing. PLease help. I am in south jersey if someone can help.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I doubt it. I have 660 Icecap ballasts powering 6 overdrive T5s (Normal 54W each, over driven about 80W each) also 3 inches from the water. My SPSs and caps were put within 12 and 15 inches from the water line and they are not bleaching at all but thriving. My tank is running for two years already.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Caps are generally bulletproof and can be grown under everything from power compacts to 1000 watt halides. In addition to "too much light," bleaching can be a sign of stress. There may be something in the water chemistry that is having a negative impact on these corals. Are there any other corals nearby or touching the caps? Do you have any palys or leather corals in the tank? What/how are you using the carbon and FO (reactor, bag, etc.) ?

scampi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is not just caps but other SPS. I do have palys and leather but run FO thought a BRS reactor and just run a bag of carbon in sump. the caps are within 10 inchs of light. They are not dying quickly but are slowly bleaching. It has taken months. I also do not have very good polyp extension with any of my SPS that I know have very long polyps. All sps, seem to be on paler side. My water seems to be very clean. Is it possible to have too clean of water that might magnify light to burn corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: