fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Its fairly simple to make your own ATO. You go online and buy 2 float switches, 1 always open and one always closed. Take an extension cord and strip the covering off to expose the 3 wires inside. The always closed switch will be your main switch and set at the water height desired. The always open switch will sit about an inch or 2 higher than the main switch( You can buy a JBJ float switch bracket to make this install simpler). Strip the black and white wires on the ext. cord and wire the 2 switches to it. Cover with electrical tape. Plug into wall outlet and plug a pump in the other side and place in bucket with RO water. When the water drops, the main switch will kick the pump on and fill the chamber. If the switch fails and it keeps filling, the second switch will cut the pump off. Good luck

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I'm using a gravity feed ATO. Works great so far. I think the issues that can go wrong are the same with any ATO. Float valve gets stuck instead of switch getting stuck... overflow in sump (I have more than enough room to accomodate the 5 gallon reservoir I have)

I can imagine if you had a 30-40 gallon ATO or direct connection to your RO/DI than it might be a bigger deal...

I just didn't see the need for an extra outlet, an extra pump, wiring, etc when gravity and a float can do the same thing...

Last edited:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm using a gravity feed ATO. Works great so far. I think the issues that can go wrong are the same with any ATO. Float valve gets stuck instead of switch getting stuck... overflow in sump (I have more than enough room to accomodate the 5 gallon reservoir I have)

I can imagine if you had a 30-40 gallon ATO or direct connection to your RO/DI than it might be a bigger deal...

I just didn't see the need for an extra outlet, an extra pump, wiring, etc when gravity and a float can do the same thing...
Thats cool that your sump could handle the ATO res in case of a float failure BUT can your livestock handle a quick drop in salinity?:rolleyes:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Well that's assuming the res is full when it fails, and I honestly don't know what the salinity change would be. I asked the question in y DIY thread and no-one replied on that question :( the tank is 65g and the sump is 20 about half full....

But i would think there's some risk in any ato system for failure...granted you've got some level of redundancy in a dual switch setup, there's also an increased level of complexity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: