• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it's either small tubeworms (feather dusters) or "pineapple" tunicates. Does the "crown" pop back in the hole when you get close to them? Is the tube semi-hard? If so, I'd guess tubeworms, no problem with these guys. If it's tunicates, look for two holes that the tunicate uses, one to take in water, one to expell it (it's how they feed) no problem with these guys either, both are just a sign of a tank that is developing well.

The only thing I can think of that might be bad are hydroids. If neither of the above descriptions match, count the number of hair-like extensions on the crown. I believe the magic number for these is 5, or multiples of 5. Do the animals in your tank move at all when you observe them on the glass?

HTH,

~Alice

Mike02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted asking about this creature a few days ago. I asked to since they are in my tank too. They said it was some kind of sponge.

out

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has tons of this creature and more growing every day. It resesembles a small, plump, fuzzy, white tube, with a crown of hair-like extrensions surrounding the hole at the top. What is this? Is it good or is it bad? If bad, what is the best way to rid them from my tank. Please help!

out

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the lack of description. Upon further contemplation, I have concluded that the look like small, white barrels, with the upper hole surrounded by "hairs" that are tinnier than those of tubeworms. They are stationary, and, as best as I can tell, have only one hole.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they resemble little pineapples, they're scypha sponges. Little filter-feeding hitchhikers that are harmless.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: