reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I just got in some 1" true union ball valves that I got from ebay because the place I originally ordered them through had them back ordered until Jan 22nd and i didnt want to wait that long. These came in with stickers saying made in china and seemed rather greasy/oily. I tried washing them in the sink with soap and water to take the grease off because it worried be a bit going onto the reef tank.

Well after they dried it seems theres still a decent amount of grease left on the valves especially on the internal ball part of the valve. If I had known it was some sort of silicone grease I may not worry too much, but the fact that I have no idea what it could be worries me.

Anyone have any experience with greasy valves and whether or not they were used on a reef tank and the outcomes.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I don't think that would work. Seems the big problem is within the ball valve where the water doesn't reach has a lot of grease because then I cleaned the closed side of ball then close open and close valve the oil is back.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Don?t know for sure, but would think C&L plumbing supply on Merrick rd, or any of Blackman?s locations would have one of quality. Maybe call first so you? Not driving all over

Oh, you?re on Staten Island. Check local plumbing supply

isnyc300

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Don?t know for sure, but would think C&L plumbing supply on Merrick rd, or any of Blackman?s locations would have one of quality. Maybe call first so you? Not driving all over

Oh, you?re on Staten Island. Check local plumbing supply

+1 Blackmans should have it

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I don't think lubricant oils or grease would cause any problems, since they should be water resistant by definition for the plumbing part. If I recall from my marine biology classes in regards to tanker oil spills, there are heavy oils, which form sticky floating tar balls, and light volatile oils, which evaporate. since your talking about a heavy grease, it shouldn't dissolve into water. Anything lighter would be skimmed out. Well, if I were to drop cooking oil into the tank, it would just float around and break into a billion droplets once it gets sucked into the pumps, as long as it doesn't mix, the skimmers would get it. Lets say I dropped lighter fluid in, that would just dissolve into the water, may poison a few things before it evaporated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: